UPdated pics of my Delaware "pullet". Now almost 6 weeks old.

They aren't EEs, they are Delawares. Dels have barring in the hackles, not a true solid black Columbian look like a Brahma does. It's not always so apparent. I was recently fooled by an 8 week old "pullet" who very suddenly had a red comb, seemed to appear overnight--it was a lightly marked cockerel. Most of the time, the males will have lots of color between the wings, in the shoulder area of the back. You can be about 80% certain by using that marker to judge by, I'd say. It's not 100% foolproof just like BR sexing isn't 100% foolproof.

As for the greenish legs, those are really a dusky yellow, seeming to appear green in certain lights. It's a very common fault on some Delawares. Even one of my breeder girls has that. It's something to cull for, but there are so many things to get right at the same time in this breed, it's hard to do them all at once. Sometimes, they do get a bit more yellow later on, though.

#2 could be a late developing cockerel, but I think in a week or two, it will become more plain.

Definitely Delawares.

Hopefully both pullets!
fl.gif

These two chickies are so funny and inquisitive and friendly. They are the only 2 out of my 8, that let my 3 year old daughter pick them up constantly.

They are also the ones that explore the living room with out asking permission.
wink.png

I recently bought 7 about a month old from a breeder...most had off color legs but I saw the parent stock and overall were very nice birds and these were nice chicks so I gambled on the legs...now about 12 weeks their legs are a nice yellow not as nice as one of my others but far from the willow color they were..and the older they get the yellower they are still getting.
And why does every chicken on BYC have to be an EE just because someone questions its breed?

Back
Top Bottom