Updated! - Test Your Diagnostic Skills - Warning, Contains Graphic Necropsy Photos

She's in the veggie drawer.
hide.gif

-Kathy

Me too. I thought about opening up the fridge with a dead chicken in it just as I was drinking coffee and spit it everywhere. I was LOL big time.

I can't think of any diseases that would fit what you're finding. Lymphoid Leukosis causes weight loss and diarrhea, sometimes green, as well as sudden death. However, it also tends to cause lack of appetite, and you probably would have noticed other symptoms like a slightly enlarged abdomen. Leukosis also generally affects older birds, so I don't really think that it is the cause, only a remote possiblity.

Perhaps it wasn't a disease that caused her death. Maybe she has been kept away from the water by the other birds(accounting for the dehydration), and just became too weak? Another remote possiblity is that she died of heat stroke. There is also something called Sudden Death Syndrome (I think), and it causes sudden death for no apparent reason. It usually affects broiler chickens, however.

Maybe she had an intestinal blockage. That might account for her skinniness, as well as possibly for her enlarged crop.

These are really just guesses.Hopefully, your necropsy turns up some definite results!

I agree. I think it is leukosis because of the green poop which is a sign she wasn't digesting her food, and that's why her crop was full and hard.

Back
Top Bottom