Updated! - Test Your Diagnostic Skills - Warning, Contains Graphic Necropsy Photos

And I have another hen on my couch that's going though the throes of death that I'll be doing a necropsy on as well.

-Kathy

She's in the veggie drawer. :oops:

-Kathy

I came home from work and found a dead hen hubby didn't even notice was dead that apparently died this morning after he fed them (I have been at work for 3 days) and stuck her in the veggie drawer. I am not going to necropsy her myself, although I can, as my state will do it as well as complete viral and bacterial testing for free. So she is going to the lab Monday.

ETA: I vote you have something infectious or toxic going on with a second sick and dying hen. Yikes.

Last edited:
Isn't avian leukosis contagious?
Avian Leukosis Virus (ALV)

Lymphoid leukosis, the most common manifestation of the avian leukosis/sarcoma group of viruses, produces a variety of neoplastic diseases, including erythroblastosis, myelocytomatosis, myeloblastosis and others. Not all infected birds will develop tumors. Infection can occur horizontally from bird to bird by direct or indirect contact, or vertically from an infected hen to her eggs as virus is shed into the albumin of the egg. In addition, vertical transmission may occur from virus incorporated in the DNA of a germ cell. Viremia in the hen is strongly associated with the transmission of virus congenitally. Enzyme immunoassays have proven efficacious in the detection of both leukosis antibody and antigen.

Source:
http://www.idexx.com/view/xhtml/en_us/livestock-poultry/poultry/avian-leukosis-virus.jsf

-Kathy

Last edited:
Avian Leukosis Virus (ALV)

Lymphoid leukosis, the most common manifestation of the avian leukosis/sarcoma group of viruses, produces a variety of neoplastic diseases, including erythroblastosis, myelocytomatosis, myeloblastosis and others. Not all infected birds will develop tumors. Infection can occur horizontally from bird to bird by direct or indirect contact, or vertically from an infected hen to her eggs as virus is shed into the albumin of the egg. In addition, vertical transmission may occur from virus incorporated in the DNA of a germ cell. Viremia in the hen is strongly associated with the transmission of virus congenitally. Enzyme immunoassays have proven efficacious in the detection of both leukosis antibody and antigen.

Source:
http://www.idexx.com/view/xhtml/en_us/livestock-poultry/poultry/avian-leukosis-virus.jsf

-Kathy
Kathy, Is that in English? lol, but is this what you might think the chicken might have had?

Back
Top Bottom