**Updated w/ Lots of New Pics** Can you identify these chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mrsgibber, Jun 1, 2011.

1. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Hi there. These guys hatched out on Saturday. I know what the little white one is but I'm stumped on the two darker ones. Not sure you can see in the photo but they have feathered legs/feet and they are larger than the white cochin bantam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  2. mrsgibber

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    :d

3. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Sorry... hope this bumps you... I just like to look and see what everyone has to say and what the reasonings are.
    I have learned a ton, but not enough to actually comment [​IMG]

4. mrsgibber

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    ah, well I appreciate the bump...I admit I enjoy peeking at the baby pics as well.

5. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    I was going to say they look kind of like our blue laced red wyandotte chicks, but not with feathered legs. These are pure or mixed?

6. mrsgibber

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    They could possibly be mixed. Lots of Cochin, Silkies, Faverolles, at the barn where I got the eggs.

7. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Were all of the eggs bantam eggs? How many toes do the chicks have? Do you know what other breeds they had? Do the feet look like they will be heavily feathered or lightly feathered? The chicks look like they have single combs so I would suspect they are Cochin or Cochin crosses.

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    It'd be really cool if these were cochin/welsummer or cochin/EE mixes! You should keep posting pics of them as they grow!

9. mrsgibber

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Here are a bunch more shots at 6 days old...Hard to see but they are definitely feathering all the way down to the middle toe (four toes total). The eggs they came from were bigger than the bantam cochin eggs that hatched out. I wonder too if it is some bantam cochin crossed with something else. Though most of her eggs come from segregated breed cages...such a mystery...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. mrsgibber

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Starting to believe they may actually be EE/Cochin crosses. I know she has lots of EE at her place...I bought one from her a couple yrs ago. Sure would be neat if that's what they are!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by