Updates on the last pages: Neighbor is threatening me and my chickens

Pics
I’m back to… the bad thoughts. The ordinance officer, and a member of the board, came by and measured today. Was 25ft short. Told me I had to get rid of my chickens until I got a variance. I told him it wasn’t going to happen. He didn’t care a thing about my mental health or how the chickens help. All he kept saying was he was like a police officer. Thanks for nothing. Hopefully the lawyer will be more help when she calls back. The member of the board said it wasn’t harassment but they were just doing their job. Yeah right. Whatever. Thanks for making my mental health worse and making me feel like crap.
:hugsI'm so sorry. Keep your chin up and keep fighting.

I did measure. But I don’t know where they measured from. They also only measured to my run. Not my coop. Because apparently that’s all that counts.
Not sure if you have any drafting skills, but it would be good to sketch up a diagram(if not scaled at least proportioned) showing the coop, run, surrounding buildings(yours and your neighbors) and record all possible dimensions between them.

Not sure if you have any drafting skills, but it would be good to sketch up a diagram(if not scaled at least proportioned) showing the coop, run, surrounding buildings(yours and your neighbors) and record all possible dimensions between them.
I might be able to. At a later date. Right now I feel like I’m having an anxiety attack.

I’m back to… the bad thoughts. The ordinance officer, and a member of the board, came by and measured today. Was 25ft short. Told me I had to get rid of my chickens until I got a variance. I told him it wasn’t going to happen. He didn’t care a thing about my mental health or how the chickens help. All he kept saying was he was like a police officer. Thanks for nothing. Hopefully the lawyer will be more help when she calls back. The member of the board said it wasn’t harassment but they were just doing their job. Yeah right. Whatever. Thanks for making my mental health worse and making me feel like crap.
He should’ve went to the neighbor and told him to keep his dog on his own property.

I once had a drunken neighbor, very similar, that was a nuisance for his dangerous driving habits, wild parties, complaining about my roosters and letting his dogs run at large, threatening my birds and sheep. I, finally, used a large live trap and caught his dogs on my property. I called him and asked, did he want to sign a confession of his irresponsible acts against me and the neighborhood, or did he want me to turn his dogs(two) over to our county rabies control program. He threatened to kill me . I told him that was on tape and would be used to press assault charges as well. He went ballistic and I invited him to come over and try and get his dogs, I was waiting for the sheriff and had my 12 gauge ready if needed. He called back 5 minutes later apologizing! I took photos of his dogs and had recorded all our conversations. I returned his dogs to him, with a warning that I had prepared a lawsuit and criminal charges ,waiting to be filed but was willing to be a good neighbor if he stopped being a drunken as------ and minded his own business and kept his dogs up, with two deputy sheriffs smirking beside me! He has never uttered another complaint and has been keeping a lower profile for many years now! PS. I love dogs and would never harm them, if it could be avoided, and would of returned them to him anyway! The irony of the situation is that another neighbor, directly across the street from me, has a dozen roosters or more, most of the time, as he breeds game chickens and I only had two roosters! He only complained about me. We live in a rural area that does not limit flocks or roosters, but he made nuisance complaints anyway! The sheriffs department made the calls but were ok, when I told them to check our county ordinances for any restrictions and they decided it was a purely civil matter, to be addressed in a court through lawsuits only. I don't suggest being as aggressive as I was, back then! But a dog trap is a good way to prove his negligence and gain leverage! His dogs may terrify you and cause your chickens to lay less eggs and are a direct threat as well to you , your guest and your chickens! I would call the police every time he is loud, has a party or lets his dog get off his property without a leash! Put up no trespassing signs with a contact number for appts and warn all village idiots(officials) too make appts. before coming on your property, that they have been notified of a no tolerance trespass policy! If you catch his dog , do call your county rabies control or animal control department and have him picked up. Be sure and leave a message with your bad neighbor, to go pick up his dog at the animal shelter, say nothing else! File a complaint against him for not keeping his dog on a leash or confined to his property! Anytime, you can hear noise from his property, inside your home, call and make a complaint, requesting officers to come out. This will help to create a record of his abuses of your rights and ability to enjoy your home and pursuit of happiness! Stinky, jack Mackerel makes good bait to catch all meat eaters and just put the trap near one of the places the dog(s) enters your yard. Keep a camera ready at all times! Document other livestock barns, dog kennels, coops, animal enclosures, yards, runs and etc. in your village and if possible, any that violate the set back or other ordinances for such. If a pattern of unequal justice can be shown, that may be helpful! Best wishes for you and your flock!

So my neighbor is a drunk and has been for 30 some odd years. My mom says to ignore him. He has been acting nice to me now but then right after acting mean again. My mom says it’s something called wet brain and has to do with drunkards. Talking to this guy is giving me whiplash. I’m trying to ignore him but he’s trying to make “pleasant” conversation with one minute then biting my head off. 😡 I wish this all didn’t feel so damn crazy.
Call your local Municipal Office and talk with a Clerk there or better still ask to talk to a By-law Officer, they will be able to tell you everything you need to know about keeping any sort of livestock on your property.

As for your neighbour, I suggest not engaging that person with any socializing; politely explain you are 'very busy' and to 'have a wonderful day' and walk away if he confronts you. If he continues to harass you though that could be a situation for the authorities to deal with. I never suggest a person confront someone, especially if there have been 'words' given in the past - that only makes both parties more aggressive and could end badly - for our livestock or you.

Good luck - oh and ensure that your livestock are well contained and there are no issues that can be put back onto you.

Back
Top Bottom