Updates on the last pages: Neighbor is threatening me and my chickens

Thank you all so much. I feel so much better being able to talk to someone, besides my family, who gets it. I plan on talking to an agricultural lawyer if he decides to bring the town on me. I figure I’ll listen to what the town has to say if they come around, but not saying anything more than “oh?” Then make sure I hire a lawyer to help me out. I’m hoping he forgets this whole thing but I’m going to prepare like he won’t.

I was talking to one guy who knows my neighbor, neighbor will be called B, and I guess he asked B about it and B said he didn’t remember it. That B must have been drunk. Then my husband pointed out that B didn’t have an issue with the chicks I was holding until late in the day. We got them at 8am on Saturday. B didn’t confront me about them until 5pm on Saturday. Long enough for him to get drunk and pissed off. Then after the chicks were gone at 8am on Sunday he’s acting bipolar. Nice to me, then an asshole, then nice.

I’m just going to avoid B as you guys suggested. Seeing him just pisses me off more. Like he’s watching every move I make now. Waiting for some screw up to happen so he can be a bigger asshole.

Good plan. Being around crazy people can make you crazy. That's why people with alcoholics in their family benefit from programs like Al-anon, even if their alcoholic isn't going to AA or another 12-step program. Helps you to stay sane in a crazy environment. Wish I'd known about that when I was a kid. But anyway, good luck to you!

Your neighbors sound like a bunch of jerks too. I could never let my kids just leave their crap in the road. There’s a small dead end road across from my house that the neighborhood kids play in. My kids don’t. Not without looking for cars first. It’s just common sense safety. Teach it to them young and they’ll remember it later.

I guess I am trying to please him. Or at least make the situation better. I grew up being hated so as an adult I try to get along with the people who are nice to me. It’s hard on my anxiety when someone has an issue with me. My anxiety gets so bad I feel like throwing up sometimes. I always want whatever issue it is to be resolved. But I know there are just some that can’t be.
I’m sorry to hear that. I know how you feel with conflict. I get anxiety too when there’s conflict and I know how you feel of wanting to throw up, I hate that feeling! When there’s another person helping me out with an issue it always helps when you have to confront that other person. Whether it be your mom, or a friend or whoever it really helps me to feel more confident especially when they help me out with what to say. No matter how old you are, your mom or dad are always great to have by your side! Since they’re a drunk, they aren’t in the right mind set and can’t think clearly. You definitely aren’t in the wrong here at all. I know how difficult it is though to blame yourself or put guilt on yourself when it’s not even your fault and just have it weigh on your mind. He’s definitely a person to stay away from and keep conversation short and simple. Reinforcing the fence probably will fix all your worries though!

Is there any town official you could email or call to clarify your right to own and sell chickens? Maybe you could mention the things your neighbor has been saying so that the city knows he's acting this way. You said that he knows a lot of people in town, but surely they also know he is a drunk then and won't help him make trouble for you. Especially if you've kinda put it out there that he's been saying all of this stuff.

It definitely sounds like he just doesn't want to have to fence in his yard. Got drunk and realized his dogs were at risk of doing something they shouldn't and did the usual "blame someone else for my shortcoming" thing.

I have relatives who live in the country and it's pretty well known that if your dog isn't fenced in and gets after someone else's livestock that you should expect the animal to be shot. I'd say he's just reacting to the realization that he might not be the most responsible dog owner.

Ordinance guy showed up today and told us we had to move our coop. 300ft from any neighbors house. The most we can do is 150. I’m so upset. I don’t want to lose my chickens because we can’t move the coop. 😭
We have a high predator load farther down the yard and I’m scared to move them that far. Boy this neighbor just burned a bridge.

Sorry to hear about the setback issues - they rarely come up, as most properties large enough to have chickens in the NE states have plenty of room to accommodate setbacks.

I could find the ordinance for you, but I don't think that would be helpful at this point.

Back
Top Bottom