Updates on the last pages: Neighbor is threatening me and my chickens

Pics
Well, did he bring a damn tape measure? Geeesh!
He said he would be back with one and a witness.
I'm seeing that chart has permitted uses, special uses, and prohibited uses.
For your MSM zoning, there is no mention of chickens, poultry, or farming in any column of that table. The "prohibited" column mentions things in Section 4-7, but you posted that, and I agree it doesn't seem to apply to your chickens.

So they would have to go under "special uses," which says "All other non-permitted/non-prohibited uses subject to performance standards. See Section 4-9."

I take that to mean, for anything not specifically prohibited or permitted, then it is allowed IF it meets whatever standards are in Section 4-9. (I'm not a lawyer, just agreeing that I read this the same way you seem to be reading it.)
In section 4-7 C. It says anything not listed is considered prohibited. I’m not sure what that means but I think that’s what they’re talking about. What they’re trying to use against me. I just don’t get it. I’m trying to follow all of the rules they told me about. Then it feels like they make up or find new ones once I’m in compliance.
It’s killing me. The thought of having to give them up and all of this stress. I’m looking at vacant lots to try and move. But that brings a whole bunch of new issues. I just hate this. I don’t know why they’re out to get me so hard.

In section 4-7 C. It says anything not listed is considered prohibited.
In which case, the table mention of things that are not-permitted/not-prohibited is rather stupid and pointless, if EVERYTHING is prohibited unless listed otherwise.

But yes, you make a good point there. :(

I’m trying to follow all of the rules they told me about. Then it feels like they make up or find new ones once I’m in compliance.
I assume you already tried to make them put it all in writing?

I’m looking at vacant lots to try and move. But that brings a whole bunch of new issues.

Yes, moving would be one solution, but it is certainly not easy!

In which case, the table mention of things that are not-permitted/not-prohibited is rather stupid and pointless, if EVERYTHING is prohibited unless listed otherwise.

But yes, you make a good point there. :(

I assume you already tried to make them put it all in writing?

Yes, moving would be one solution, but it is certainly not easy!
I don’t know what to do if they quote that section C at me. I don’t know how to fight that.
They won’t put anything in writing. They just point to the zoning laws or misquote the ordinance. Most of the time they get stuff wrong.
I wish they weren’t singling me out so hard. Then maybe I could compromise with them and ask for a variance until I leave. But they won’t do it if they’re going to quote the section C. They want to make the neighbor who is complaining happy. Not realizing they’re only targeting me when other people keep chickens here as well. But they don’t matter because no one is complaining.

So my husband went through the zoning law and this stupid zoning schedule. He said we could get a special use permit and via the definition in the zoning laws my chickens don’t count as agricultural. It’s a stretch I know. But according to their definition agricultural is for profit. No mention of chickens either but growing crops, or a garden, aparently is not allowed either as long as it’s for profit. So if I don’t make any money off my chickens then, again by their definition, it isn’t agricultural. 😑 These zoning laws were written by a moron.

This next bit gets personal… feel free to skip.
I know this is controversial here but I’m going to try and get my flock registered as emotional support animals. I have been in tears, to say the least, at the thought of losing them. I have GAD and they help me immensely. Both my husband and I seek comfort with these chickens. I am not looking to get them registered just because reasons. But because they actually are emotionally supporting me. Hopefully it’ll open these people’s eyes to what they’re actually doing. They’re listening only to the crazed ravings of a drunk who won’t shut up. In the process they’re making my life more stressful. Which makes me more anxious. I haven’t had SIB thoughts in 2 years. Today, at the thought of losing my chickens, I thought real hard about it. SIB is a mental abbreviation. I don’t want to spell it out here in case anyone gets triggered by it. So be aware if you google it. I’m okay now. My husband calmed me down. But these animals are important to me. I just wish I could catch a break.

So my husband went through the zoning law and this stupid zoning schedule. He said we could get a special use permit and via the definition in the zoning laws my chickens don’t count as agricultural. It’s a stretch I know. But according to their definition agricultural is for profit. No mention of chickens either but growing crops, or a garden, aparently is not allowed either as long as it’s for profit. So if I don’t make any money off my chickens then, again by their definition, it isn’t agricultural. 😑 These zoning laws were written by a moron.

This next bit gets personal… feel free to skip.
I know this is controversial here but I’m going to try and get my flock registered as emotional support animals. I have been in tears, to say the least, at the thought of losing them. I have GAD and they help me immensely. Both my husband and I seek comfort with these chickens. I am not looking to get them registered just because reasons. But because they actually are emotionally supporting me. Hopefully it’ll open these people’s eyes to what they’re actually doing. They’re listening only to the crazed ravings of a drunk who won’t shut up. In the process they’re making my life more stressful. Which makes me more anxious. I haven’t had SIB thoughts in 2 years. Today, at the thought of losing my chickens, I thought real hard about it. SIB is a mental abbreviation. I don’t want to spell it out here in case anyone gets triggered by it. So be aware if you google it. I’m okay now. My husband calmed me down. But these animals are important to me. I just wish I could catch a break.
I’m really sorry you have to go through this. Sending good thoughts!

Took a picture of the inside of my coop today. So many chickens jammed into this coop. Hopefully not for long though. We got two of the other little coops moved down back and need to rent a mini skid steer to move the other large one. Will be doing that on Monday or Tuesday.
I’m going to try and adjust the wording on the petition to reflect keeping chickens in the whole village. Until then I’m going to get a variance for my plant stand, because that’s freaking illegal, and have my chickens craftily worded into it. If they dispute that, which they will, having my flock registered as emotional support, and one as a therapy, animals means they can’t get rid of them. Most of the laws regarding ESA in NYS pertain to rental properties but I figure if they try and dispute it, and to piss them off royally, I’ll move my whole flock inside. I have a basement that is heated the flock can sleep in at night and I’ll let them out during the day. Not ideal but until we can move I want to make my flock untouchable. The neighbor is trying to harass me in every way possible to get rid of them. He won’t stop complaining to the village and they just keep listening to him. I cannot get rid of them. For my own, and my husbands, mental health I just can’t do it.
Anyway… here’s the picture of the coop everyone got moved into. The tarp covered thing is the dog kennel. It has the babies in it. It comes out in a couple days. I wish the nest boxes were on the floor but the guy who built it didn’t follow my specifications. 😕
D1834C5B-B8ED-44B7-827B-DDD2681B9C4A.jpeg

Took a picture of the inside of my coop today. So many chickens jammed into this coop. Hopefully not for long though. We got two of the other little coops moved down back and need to rent a mini skid steer to move the other large one. Will be doing that on Monday or Tuesday.
I’m going to try and adjust the wording on the petition to reflect keeping chickens in the whole village. Until then I’m going to get a variance for my plant stand, because that’s freaking illegal, and have my chickens craftily worded into it. If they dispute that, which they will, having my flock registered as emotional support, and one as a therapy, animals means they can’t get rid of them. Most of the laws regarding ESA in NYS pertain to rental properties but I figure if they try and dispute it, and to piss them off royally, I’ll move my whole flock inside. I have a basement that is heated the flock can sleep in at night and I’ll let them out during the day. Not ideal but until we can move I want to make my flock untouchable. The neighbor is trying to harass me in every way possible to get rid of them. He won’t stop complaining to the village and they just keep listening to him. I cannot get rid of them. For my own, and my husbands, mental health I just can’t do it.
Anyway… here’s the picture of the coop everyone got moved into. The tarp covered thing is the dog kennel. It has the babies in it. It comes out in a couple days. I wish the nest boxes were on the floor but the guy who built it didn’t follow my specifications. 😕
View attachment 2781081
I had to move my rooster inside when staying with family between houses last year. A neigh bor complained to the county. It worked fine, but was not ideal either. I was lucky because I was already in the process of moving. I genuinely feel for you, and I wish I could help. Your situation is ridiculous. I really, really, really hope this gets settled in a way that finds you (and your flock) happy again.

I'll keep following. I am rooting for you!!!

And I'll add that my son, who was really pissed off at the neighbors for complaining, recorded my rooster crowing and played it on loop in the yard. The county folks said that playing the crow was not only completely legal, but also hilarious. We would go into the backyard and crow at the top of our lungs sometimes, too. I don't recommend either of these actions in your case. We got away with it because we were already in the process of leaving, and the county ppl were on our side because we were being reasonable and the neighbor was not.

Back
Top Bottom