Upgrading a solid run to a large coop?

Crazy Maizie

Free Ranging
Jul 3, 2020
We are contemplating having our run sided and making it a large coop. I have ducks and chickens so it will have separate areas. We would keep the top area under the rafters open for ventilation as well as the entry door. We would also add windows for light and more ventilation. The run is currently 14' × 20'.
My idea is to then have electric poultry netting as a fenced area so that they can get some outdoor time while I'm in the yard or working in the coop (which is the run area atm).
What are your thoughts? We are having a contractor come out to let us know how much, but I'm hesitant especially with the current cost of materials. Plus, I don't have electric out there. Currently, I run an electric cord from a separate building into the run to keep heated waterers. I fear any hole big enough for the plug to get through will be big enough for mice.

20210603_183236.jpg

Where, in general, are you located?

If you're in a warm climate you don't even need to enclose everything, just provide a 3-sided shelter at the windward end of the covered run -- saving substantially on building materials.

I would normally talk about how much I love my Premier 1 electric netting, but in the Avian Flu situation I can't use mine or recommend it to others. :(

How large is your coop and how many chickens will compose your present and future flock?

I also am experiencing very frigid weather at this moment. My current flock of eighteen have a total of over 275 square feet of enclosed run, and it's a good ten to fifteen degrees warmer inside. They have two coops that provide adequate square footage for sleeping and egg laying, but they hang out in the run mostly. Avian flu is making its rounds across the US, and I'm unconcerned because my chickens are under cover.

In summer, I remove translucent panels that keep out blizzard driven snow and freezing wind. The five glass doors remain as a permanent wind break since I get heavy winds from both north and south. The remainder of the run is open to air flow and cooling breezes in summer. This setup keeps the run ten degrees warmer in winter and ten degrees cooler in summer.

If your coop is adequate for sleeping and laying, why not upgrade the run and make it versatile for all seasons and provide a safe cover in the face of avian disease spread by wild birds? A few random pics of my run.
34BE930E-D66C-4D9B-8AD0-E80D22C310DF.jpeg
C1E7AEAC-4D3A-4845-A3A9-FFA478F92F96.jpeg
E1FD00B9-95F9-4D09-B513-88C6E5E72C0A.jpeg
97E2F1C1-947E-4FD1-BB42-F86A68203301.jpeg

How large is your coop and how many chickens will compose your present and future flock?

I also am experiencing very frigid weather at this moment. My current flock of eighteen have a total of over 275 square feet of enclosed run, and it's a good ten to fifteen degrees warmer inside. They have two coops that provide adequate square footage for sleeping and egg laying, but they hang out in the run mostly. Avian flu is making its rounds across the US, and I'm unconcerned because my chickens are under cover.

In summer, I remove translucent panels that keep out blizzard driven snow and freezing wind. The five glass doors remain as a permanent wind break since I get heavy winds from both north and south. The remainder of the run is open to air flow and cooling breezes in summer. This setup keeps the run ten degrees warmer in winter and ten degrees cooler in summer.

If your coop is adequate for sleeping and laying, why not upgrade the run and make it versatile for all seasons and provide a safe cover in the face of avian disease spread by wild birds? A few random pics of my run.View attachment 3017186View attachment 3017187View attachment 3017188View attachment 3017190
Thank you for posting photos. I like the idea that you have incorporated. My birds have 3 separate coops inside the run at the moment. I'd like to get a few more chickens, but their current coop is at the maximum capacity. My husband suggested enclosing the run to make a larger coop. As it is now, my birds aren't protected from wild birds entering.

Back
Top Bottom