Upper Respirtory?

UPDATE: I would think having an URI this girl would not be feeling well ... Poquito has never showed any sign of to feeling well other than her eyes getting gunky in the morning. I'm wondering if she's allergic to pine shavings, possibly the weather, so experimenting.

Removed all shavings from the brooder in the patio & in the cage she is now residing in, will use potty pads instead. Keeping her warm with the MHP & heat lite set up ... One nite I turned the MHP down to L the next morning she woke with her eye sealed shut, wiped with warm water. Following day her other eye was shut, cleaned again with warm water. 3rd morning both eyes were good but wiped with warm water anyway.

When I take her out to the brooder, I keep the heat lite on; 40watt incandescent, didn't realize how different heat levels there are depending on the "brightness". Have noticed that sound I describe as "squishy" maybe a "sneeze or clearing her throat", not hearing it as often. She spends most of her time in brooder, door open & I get there out in the sun for some Vitamin D for a bit.

Is it possible it's NOT URI but an allergy to the shavings and being "tiny" needing more warmth, like Chihuahuas? Just thought she would be sickly which she hasn't been but still treating with VetRX under her wings, behind her ears, chest & under beak/throat ... Also adding Poultry Cell to her feed daily.

Any other suggestions or ideas would be appreciated ...

Attachments

• 0209 RC 3.jpg
    0209 RC 3.jpg
    566.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 0124 On RC.jpg
    0124 On RC.jpg
    1,019.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 0204 Brooder.jpg
    0204 Brooder.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 0206 Bin.jpg
    0206 Bin.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 0219 Moved:2.jpg
    0219 Moved:2.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 6
Since this has been going on since hatch, I would say that the eye infection could be from the broody or other bacteria. Mycoplasma usually doesn’t show up until the second or third week, I think. Terramycin works pretty well if it is mycoplasma, but maybe you could get some eye drops or ointment that would also treat E.coli. Ciprofloxacin eye drops may be good. Plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day may also work if you cannot get Cipro drops from a vet. Flushing the eye with some eye wash (Bausch and Lomb Eye Relief is good) before the ointment. I hope this eventually clears up.

@Eggcessive Thank you so very much, value your help
:hugs

I got terramycin which I thought of but thinking it was URI, didn't use it. Got Neosporin & Triple Antibiotic also since my Vet won't give me anything unless I take her in and I didn't want to "spread" whatever she got to the Cockatiels he keeps in his office. I also got eye wash ... Glad she's content being in her "house" and brooder, didn't want her near my hens (3) either, just in case.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Started Terramycin Sunday nite ... Monday morning Poquito's eyes were clean, in the afternoon noticed less "noise" coming from her. Apply 2x day (morning & night) ... This morning her right eye had gunk in it, wiped eyes with warm water. This afternoon hardly notice any "sounds" coming from her. Will give it a week to see how this treatment works. Using potty pads in the cage & in the brooder lay a potty paper at the door since she hangs out there.

I would experiment with different forms of bedding. It may be this chick has an extreme sensitivity to dust or even an allergy to the bedding currently in use. Children's liquid Benedryl might be worth a try to see what it does. Then if it works, you might have a stronger suspicion this is an allergy.

I would experiment with different forms of bedding. It may be this chick has an extreme sensitivity to dust or even an allergy to the bedding currently in use. Children's liquid Benedryl might be worth a try to see what it does. Then if it works, you might have a stronger suspicion this is an allergy.
Yup, experimenting with bedding & heat ... So far she's better on potty pads although I had ordered hemp to try but won't just yet. I had removed heat (MHP) source (she is 9wks & in the house) a few nights ago, not good idea ... She's waking with messy eyes & everyday worst; today both eyes. Reinstalled the MHP in there cage in the living room & the brooder/patio. Also (this is amusing) she wouldn't eat breakfast ... Last night after she went to bed, I removed her Octopus. So I rehung her Octopus and she went straight for her feeder. I got a "high maintenance" Reina (queen).

Appreciate your input, I just need reassurance with my "experiments" and her condition. Vet Tech just called, relayed symptoms and she'll get back to me but did say if it's only the eyes in the morning, no labored breathing or other symptoms, she doesn't think it's URI but will call back with the Drs response.

Thank you for your comments.

UDATE: Seems like the MHP/heat is what she needs. Put her MHP on medium, she complains at low, gave her back her Octopus ... This morning her eyes were clear :celebrate
Hoping this helps her eye issue but would like to know and solve the problem.

E Coli was mentioned as a possibility. More reading & attempting locating antibiotics. Did speak to the Vet Tech, she was to relay info to Vet and call back but didn't hear from anyone by the end of the day.

I’m glad to hear that the eyes are clear and that she likes some heat. Plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment can help against E.coli. Ciprofloxacin is very good, but hard too get without a prescription. As amateur chicken owners it is always difficult to know exactly what we are seeing since it can be hard to get a culture or testing.

^^^
Very true, it's a real guessing game but with BYC members & their varied knowledge, it helps to narrow things down. Someone else mentioned E Coli, so will stop the Terramycin and proceed with either Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment. Thank you very much

How much Benadryl should I try ... She just made 10oz.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom