Upper Respirtory?

There is no egg withdrawal with tylosin, but with amoxicillin there is a 7 day withdrawal according to this study:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22054104/
I only know that bromhexine is that it is a mucus thinner. The eye in the picture has some conjunctivitis evidenced by the pinkeye showing.
Thank you for the "drug" information, very good to know. Will update in a few days ... Vet hasn't called back yet.

Something you can look into is vetericyn eye gel, first time I ever had the stuff was for my dogs eye infection that the vet suggested I try. It says its safe for use in all animals eyes.

I ended up hatching out a chick with deformed eyes last summer and was dealing with crusty eyes, one eye was sealed shut at first from build up of crust and the other eye was mostly sealed shut from the same thing (but due to the deformity he could not fully close his eye on the beak side of the eye)

I started treating it with vetericyn and saline, then got some terramycin and was using that, my vet suggested since it was a baby chick not use too much of the terramycin, but said I can continue using the vetericyn and saline to keep his eyes moist as he grows to see if he grew out of this. (He didn't but he was able to close his really bad eye just enough to keep it moist when he got old enough to go outside).

I found mine at a farm store, which is where you most likely will find it, just try and find a more big box farm store as they are most likely to have it. I found it in the dog section but I think you can also find it in cat sections and maybe even livestock sections. I figure it might be worth asking your vet about and seeing if its something worth trying.

Something you can look into is vetericyn eye gel, first time I ever had the stuff was for my dogs eye infection that the vet suggested I try. It says its safe for use in all animals eyes.

I ended up hatching out a chick with deformed eyes last summer and was dealing with crusty eyes, one eye was sealed shut at first from build up of crust and the other eye was mostly sealed shut from the same thing (but due to the deformity he could not fully close his eye on the beak side of the eye)

I started treating it with vetericyn and saline, then got some terramycin and was using that, my vet suggested since it was a baby chick not use too much of the terramycin, but said I can continue using the vetericyn and saline to keep his eyes moist as he grows to see if he grew out of this. (He didn't but he was able to close his really bad eye just enough to keep it moist when he got old enough to go outside).

I found mine at a farm store, which is where you most likely will find it, just try and find a more big box farm store as they are most likely to have it. I found it in the dog section but I think you can also find it in cat sections and maybe even livestock sections. I figure it might be worth asking your vet about and seeing if its something worth trying.
Thank you ... I do use Vetericyn Plus for all my animals, know of the eye solution & thought of it but ... Will keep it in mind. Thank you for the info on your chick's eye and your remedy.

UPDATE: Poquito has been on the ATB since last Thur/Mar 10, treatment until Tues. After 2 days the watery eye seem to be getting better but then today both eyes were wet with some bubbles. The only guarantee is the "watery/soft poop" ... cecal is like water & her regular poop is wet but in the afternoons normal, except cecal.

Someone said Coryza although, Vet called back & told him what I was administering and he said "try" although he still won't say what she has.

IF this doesn't work ... I'll give Baytril a try later this month & if that don't help I give up. Still no other symptoms, just the eyes. She's the first chick ever that has yet to move from under the MHP to the top, preferring under it or better yet under her Octopus. One thing we have noticed ... When the temperatures drop, her eyes water but think we maybe grabbing at anything.

Her face is "red" cause she got her eye area cleaned

Attachments

• 0313 Mia:3.jpg
    0313 Mia:3.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 0313 Color:Leftjpg.jpg
    0313 Color:Leftjpg.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 5
UPDATE: This will probably the last update on this subject ... The ATB has cleared her eyes which makes me accept that it's probably a URI/MG; recently Coryza was brought to my attention also. What had me resisting the "fact" was that it's only her watery eyes.

I was told ATB is a broad spectrum antibiotic which should clear up her issue but being that I have other chickens, culling is best for safety. I called the Vet to cull & get a necropsy done but IF the necropsy came out negative I'd really feel bad/quilty.

By the time I go the call back, wasn't so sure I wanted to cull her, thinking of ways to make this all work (brooding chicks). "She's not sick" is what I was told by the Vet Tech that was relaying messages; Vet's with patients, I asked about testing but he doesn't have the equipment. IF symptoms return, next month we'll do the Baytril treatment,

I figured out how to brood chicks in my garage; it's ventilated and sink in there. Need to be careful about shoes, washing hands, disinfecting/sanitizing. More work but it's only me & my animals & I don't have the heart to end her life when she's "healthy". But if she were to get sick, stop eating/drinking ... I will not have a problem.

She's in the house at night & early mornings, afternoons in the patio ... My hens (3) are at out back at the property line & confinded. I'm not into production, they're Pets with Benefits. Thank you all for putting up with my rambling trying to figure out this out. Special thanks to @Eggcessive for your moral support.

:hugs:love:hugs

Last edited:
Since what I thought would be my last UPDATE more uncertainty ... I thought the Amoxicillin+Tylosin+Bromhexine worked but very temporary. Was going to take her into the Vet for Baytril next month after a few weeks after the ATB. In the mean time have been using Vetricyn Spray sprayed on a cotton pad, wiping eyes in the morning & afternoon. Works better than the antibiotic, eyes are moist but not wet nor tearing. Read up on the main ingredient (hyprochlorous acid) and it's safe & not "toxic". It's not the Vetricyn "eye" stuff but the original skin stuff. Discovered it awhile back & it works wonders on my one dog's sebaceous outbreaks & my other dog's itchy bites/rash he's gotten.

I will continue this as it's non toxic and works :celebrate

UPDATE: Poquito's eyes are fine :thumbsup
Don't know what the issue was but she's in a section of the brooder in the patio. She's been laying the past couple weeks & bonded to RC.

Attachments

• 0618 Setting.jpg
    0618 Setting.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 0618 1st Egg:1.jpg
    0618 1st Egg:1.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 0705 Sunning w:RC 2.jpg
    0705 Sunning w:RC 2.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom