upright and rafter spacing

mqoh

Chirping
Jan 19, 2023
Lutz, Florida
Framing my walls for my open air coop in Florida 12x6.7 with a four foot area walled part way up on three sides. I know to put the uprights 24 inches apart in the "coop/walled area but is 48 too far in the 8 foot run area? Should I pop two more in there to make it stronger? I have 48 inch hardware cloth and was thinking that just adding a few crossbars would be enough. Is 48 okay for metal roof support? And how far apart would you space rafters? My friend builds houses and his advice is way overkill. I know we have a bobcat in the area. Plan on attaching hardware with screws and washers. Thanks for your input.

For the few extra bucks, I'd do 24" OC. Will make the structure stronger and less "give" in the HC.
this. Plus, check your roof panel widths. For poly, they commonly are 26” wide - so a 48” gap would be a problem.

And just to confirm, you mean 24 or 48 on center, right? NOT 24 or 48 inches of air between uprights. Just checking cause how you worded it wasn’t clear to me 😅. If you do the 2nd option, you’re gonna run into issues.

this. Plus, check your roof panel widths. For poly, they commonly are 26” wide - so a 48” gap would be a problem.

And just to confirm, you mean 24 or 48 on center, right? NOT 24 or 48 inches of air between uprights. Just checking cause how you worded it wasn’t clear to me 😅. If you do the 2nd option, you’re gonna run into issues.
Yes on center but thanks for checking🙂

But doesn’t the roof attach to the pelum which is attached to your rafters so spacing the rafters would have more to do with strength than fitting material or am I wrong?
I was thinking of poly again, sorry. Lots of people use clear poly roofing to create a greenhouse-type roof over their runs. In which case it attaches straight to the rafters I think? 🤷‍♀️ Or are the joints strong enough to “float” between further spaced rafters? Now I need to look more closely at photos…

We did ours as a post and beam structure with posts 8 feet apart and 2x4 uprights to serve as "nailing strips" for the hardware cloth.

Build thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/large-open-air-coop-in-central-nc.1443812/

0513211423-jpg.2667386

0531211701a_hdr-jpg.2697402

0827211847a_hdr-jpg.2813737

As long as your roof is parallel to the rafters, and you have adequate purlins/strapping above the rafters you should be okay. The rafters are about strength. The only issue is if your roof can expect any snow load. If you do, then 24" would be better.
Florida ha ha I’d like to see some snow. So how much space between rafters with a galvalume. Or other metal roof?

Back
Top Bottom