upright or chest freezer?

I have had a couple of chest and don't like standin on my head to dig fer what I want. Now have upright and I really like it. The only bad thing is it is an old Gibson and needs to be defrosted manually.

Quote:
OMG you are so OCD.

hugs.gif
tongue.png

but nothing's freezer burned, it all gets used, and there's no waste (as in when ground beef hit 89/lb I look at the list, if i've still 6 longs from the last time this sale can pass). Besides as I said need a place to stash bodies, i don't have michelle's permafrost layer in Cali..... *

*long standing joke regarding the bevy of exhusbands I have.....

We have a 20 cu ft upright and I like it, but very good point about the door being accidently left open and thawing everything.
he.gif
After the 2nd time this happened, we agreed to keep it locked, so we're SURE it's closed all the way. A little bit of a pain to use, but no more spoiled meat.

My father brought up another point in favor of chest freezers when he heard we'd bought an upright. When you open a chest freezer, the cold air mostly stays down inside the freezer by design. When you open an upright, all the cold air rushes down and out of the bottom and it has to work that much harder to bring the temps back down when you shut it.

Organizing the freezer? People do that?

We had a chest freezer and it was the hardest to keep organized. YOu have to take all the food out to keep the dates in order.

We now have an upright and I love it. So easy to organize. Yes, the door was left open just a bit but all you need is a little reminder that says "Make sure door is completely shut". They come with a key so you can lock it also, this would be a good idea for you since it will be in your garage.

In the end.....the decision is yours.
smile.png
Happy Freezer Shopping
smile.png

I love our 20 CF chest freezer.

It has divider thingies in the bottom and I keep chicken in one, beef in another, pork, prepared food, desserts, etc. The hanging baskets (3) hold butter, veggies, stuff in use.

I am with Saddina. Keep an inventory and rotate it.

If you go in your freezer a lot the chest would be better--every time you open the door cold air escapes. But with the chest it just stays in there because the cold air is more dense (like some of the supermarket open top styles). But if you have an upright ever time you open the door all the cold air comes pooring out. Just a thought:idunno

Quote:
Yeah. That.

I have an upright on my back porch. I like it because it's easy to see at a glance what's in it, and Mason jars fit in the door veeeeery nicely. Plus to defrost all I have to do is prop the door open in warm weather
lol.png

I got it as a freebee from my uncle, so it's not like I got a choice of style, but my grandma has a chest freezer and everything she serves from it is freezerburnt because she's always losing stuff in the depths. Maybe it's a personal organization problem, but it seems like chest-styles are more prone to the issue.

I have a chest but want an upright just so I DON'T have to dig to get what I want.

An easy solution for the door not getting shut would be to use a child protection lock on the door. They are easy enough to install and use, and you do not have to have a key to get in and out of the freezer. At least you would know the door was shut too.

Back
Top Bottom