Ups and downs

My2butterflies

Crowing
Apr 14, 2020
Minnesota
In the past month I’ve lost one male to fighting with another male. I didn’t see what happened, but the injuries indicate male on male fighting.
One night I couldn’t find one of my white females. I looked everywhere for her and nothing. I assumed she was up the tree near the coop or out on a nest.
Next morning there was white feathers in a pile under the tree and leading off into the bean field.
3EB5BF26-10D6-4082-9267-5697128D0FF3.png

The next night my only other white female disappeared too! Again I couldn’t find her anywhere. I searched twice as long because I didn’t want to lose her too, but nothing.
Next morning it was the same thing again…
677EFAE1-3060-4E9B-8D4D-76134DF90144.png

I’m not sure what got them. Owl? Coon? Coyote or fox maybe if they were down on the ground at the time?
I was sad to be down to my one white male(Sargent white feather) and one white keet I hatched this year… I didn’t have to be sad for long though.
My grand in law was kind enough to make a trade with me. I gave her 4 2wk old royal purple keets and she let me pick a couple month+ old white guineas😁
The one on the far right is all white. The one in the top of the picture have a spot of lavender on its back. Lavender pinto?
The picture is so blurry, I’ll have to bring a net out and get a better one later.

CEDD487F-2CE3-49E3-B186-6F9DB891446B.jpeg

Another picture to show what it looks like on the other side.
224ACE06-57A0-4EC2-BE13-6D7F2A4995FE.jpeg

These new ones are meshing really well with my older keets I’m keeping from my own hatching.

In the past month I’ve lost one male to fighting with another male. I didn’t see what happened, but the injuries indicate male on male fighting.
One night I couldn’t find one of my white females. I looked everywhere for her and nothing. I assumed she was up the tree near the coop or out on a nest.
Next morning there was white feathers in a pile under the tree and leading off into the bean field.
View attachment 2775046
The next night my only other white female disappeared too! Again I couldn’t find her anywhere. I searched twice as long because I didn’t want to lose her too, but nothing.
Next morning it was the same thing again…View attachment 2775047
I’m not sure what got them. Owl? Coon? Coyote or fox maybe if they were down on the ground at the time?
I was sad to be down to my one white male(Sargent white feather) and one white keet I hatched this year… I didn’t have to be sad for long though.
My grand in law was kind enough to make a trade with me. I gave her 4 2wk old royal purple keets and she let me pick a couple month+ old white guineas😁
The one on the far right is all white. The one in the top of the picture have a spot of lavender on its back. Lavender pinto?
The picture is so blurry, I’ll have to bring a net out and get a better one later.

View attachment 2775048

Another picture to show what it looks like on the other side. View attachment 2775049
These new ones are meshing really well with my older keets I’m keeping from my own hatching.
So pretty! I'm sorry for your losses- and appreciate knowing I'm not the only one. I have a feeling the real reason one shouldn't have small flocks is because it makes the losses so much harder.- But I'm not sure how many one would have to have to make it acceptable.
And I'm jealous - you had RP babies! I was to the point that I scavenged a box of keets at Rural King looking for one but all they had were grays.
I have 3 that made it to lockdown this week, and 4 more that have awhile to go. Add to the 18 Rosie is sitting on, I'll be done for the year.
I thought maybe the boys were done fighting with all the upset, but they were back at it last night.🙄

View attachment 2775046
Next morning it was the same thing again…View attachment 2775047

View attachment 2775048

Another picture to show what it looks like on the other side. View attachment 2775049
Beautiful keets! And… I’m so sorry you lost your white guineas! It sounds like your predator is grabbing them during the day, then hauling them off somewhere at night? Maybe they are taking them to a den to feed their young… Fox? Do you have a game cam?

They are very cute. I’m sorry you lost your other ones. Let’s hope it doesn’t happen again.
Thank you, Agreed!
I’ve had a lavender and a royal purple female taking turns hiding at coop time. They are out there screaming their heads off in the morning, but no where to be seen at bedtime. 🤷🏻‍♀️
So pretty! I'm sorry for your losses- and appreciate knowing I'm not the only one. I have a feeling the real reason one shouldn't have small flocks is because it makes the losses so much harder.- But I'm not sure how many one would have to have to make it acceptable.
And I'm jealous - you had RP babies! I was to the point that I scavenged a box of keets at Rural King looking for one but all they had were grays.
I have 3 that made it to lockdown this week, and 4 more that have awhile to go. Add to the 18 Rosie is sitting on, I'll be done for the year.
I thought maybe the boys were done fighting with all the upset, but they were back at it last night.🙄
Thank you. I’m not sure how big the flock would need to be either. Each loss is sad. I currently have 25 adults and 7 littles I’m keeping that have yet to join the flock. More coming in September 🙈 I thought with a bigger flock I’d see almost no fighting between males…. But that hasn’t been the case. And with the loss of a male and now two females, it’s been a bit more hectic. Ugh.
I hope all goes well with your hatches! I’ve called it quits for the year. I’ll be selling off the last dozen keets I hatched hopefully this week or next. I was beyond thrilled to have hatched 6 royal purple keets this season! :celebrate I was hoping for more, but I’ll take what I can get😉 That gave me enough to keep a couple for next year and give four to my grand in law that spent the whole season looking for some.
Beautiful keets! And… I’m so sorry you lost your white guineas! It sounds like your predator is grabbing them during the day, then hauling them off somewhere at night? Maybe they are taking them to a den to feed their young… Fox? Do you have a game cam?
Thank you.
My best guess is they are sitting on a nest at night or hiding up in the tree where I can’t see them. Then either getting spooked out of the tree and attacked on the ground, or flying down wanting to go in the coop but getting nabbed by something before I’m up to see/hear what’s going on.
It’s upsetting because my windows are facing the tree and coop. If it was during a cooler part of the year when my window is open I *should* be able to hear what’s going on. But it’s been so hot I have a window a/c and the fan going so I don’t hear anything😞

A fox is definitely possible. We have a den on our property. Of course I haven’t seen the fox for over six years, but I know that doesn’t mean it’s not still around. We have our share of coons living in our back grove. Coyotes pass though. Owls are seen and heard now and then…. Skunks, possum, and mink are also around. We do need to get a game cam. I don’t have any excuse as to why we haven’t gotten one yet. It’s something I say I want to get and then forget to look into what one to buy. 😕

I don’t have any excuse as to why we haven’t gotten one yet. It’s something I say I want to get and then forget to look into what one to buy. 😕
I've been in the trail cam thing from when they started out using 35 mil film and 8 dd batteries. They have come along way since then, way more dependable and the price has come way down. One of the few things that are cheaper then they were just a year ago. Not only are they fun but give you the info you need. I can't have enough of them.
Here's a good starter,https://www.amazon.com/KUFA-1080P,F...ords=campark+trail+cam&qid=1627472722&sr=8-20

Sorry about your white hens, a trail camera will answer some questions to who the culprit is.

I've been in the trail cam thing from when they started out using 35 mil film and 8 dd batteries. They have come along way since then, way more dependable and the price has come way down. One of the few things that are cheaper then they were just a year ago. Not only are they fun but give you the info you need. I can't have enough of them.
Here's a good starter,https://www.amazon.com/KUFA-1080P,Free-Batteries-Activated-Waterproof/dp/B08TZYDFMJ/ref=sr_1_20?dchild=1&keywords=campark+trail+cam&qid=1627472722&sr=8-20

Sorry about your white hens, a trail camera will answer some questions to who the culprit is.
😆 That’s the exact one I was looking at after I posted my last reply. It’s nice to know it’s a good one. They really have come way down in price. I looked at them a few years back and I want to say they were more around $150-$200. Way more then I could justify spending.

I’ve had a lavender and a royal purple female taking turns hiding at coop time. They are out there screaming their heads off in the morning, but no where to be seen at bedtime.
I have one Lavender hen. I have 3 hens sitting on known hidden nests that I chase in every night. I know they have a fourth hidden nest but have not been able to find it.

Four days ago I could not find the Lavender hen who apparently was sitting on the unfound nest. I stomped around for over 1/2 an hour with no success. The next morning she was off the nest and hollering her head off.

I caught her and put her in my grow out pen. Later that day I put the lone Coral Blue keet from the brooder in with her. The keet was two weeks old. She did not attack the keet but she did not try to mother it either.

I put a heat lamp on that night for the keet and it was under the lamp the next morning. That next day the keet was getting within 6" of the hen. Yesterday the keet was within inches of her and was even walking under her this morning.

😆 That’s the exact one I was looking at after I posted my last reply. It’s nice to know it’s a good one. They really have come way down in price. I looked at them a few years back and I want to say they were more around $150-$200. Way more then I could justify spending.
I have bought the $200 dollar trail cams and they have not impressed me anymore than the $100 trail cams I regularly bought. Now the cams are under $50 and the only problems I have had or have heard about them is once in awhile they loose the correct date or time, but continue to take pics and vids. When you can buy three cams for what you use to buy one with, it is an easy set up around your yard and garden.

I have one Lavender hen. I have 3 hens sitting on known hidden nests that I chase in every night. I know they have a fourth hidden nest but have not been able to find it.

Four days ago I could not find the Lavender hen who apparently was sitting on the unfound nest. I stomped around for over 1/2 an hour with no success. The next morning she was off the nest and hollering her head off.

I caught her and put her in my grow out pen. Later that day I put the lone Coral Blue keet from the brooder in with her. The keet was two weeks old. She did not attack the keet but she did not try to mother it either.

I put a heat lamp on that night for the keet and it was under the lamp the next morning. That next day the keet was getting within 6" of the hen. Yesterday the keet was within inches of her and was even walking under her this morning.
I still have my fingers crossed that Bella will come waddling up someday w/a brood. The 3 currently in the brooder are 3wks old but ginormous & already taking bursts of flight. They've taken a shine to the jumbo male so will take flight from my arm to go to him, flutter around his head like demented butterflies before lining up behind to follow him. He looks at me & then toward Rosie's nest like, "this isn't supposed to be happening yet." If a guinea could throw his wings up in resignation..every once in awhile he gives one a thunk on the head, but he comes to the window every morning to see if they're there yet.

Back
Top Bottom