UPS broke my Dickey Hatcher. Dial up warning FINAL UPDATE pg 11

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by AussieSharon, Feb 27, 2009.

1. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Warning this thread contains graphic photos of what happens when UPS mishandles a Dickey Hatcher!

Yesterday the UPS man delivered my Dickey Hatcher I purchased on ebay. The seller turned out to be a BYC member. As I was opening the box I could smell something funky, the best I can describe it is to say it smells like a mechanics workshop. Parts of the box had a gooey substance on it.

Upon opening the box here is what I found.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can only guess by the damage that it was dropped. A latch is broken in 2, it has the grease stuff on it, the internal thingie is completely broken from the mount, the door won't line up, and there are several large splits in the wood.

I called UPS immediately and the lady to told me to repack it in it's original box. I explained I couldn't and didn't have a big enough box to repack it in. They are supposed to call me by end of business today to arrange someone to come and see it. It was insured for the amount I paid but I'm not sure what will happen about the $85 it cost to ship!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  2. Feathers Acres

Feathers Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Michigan
    [​IMG] Pictures arent working

3. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Quote:Not sure why, I used photobucket and they are working for me.

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Geez, what a mess. How can that happen??

5. Feathers Acres

Feathers Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Michigan
    Huh, must be me. Im on a library computer. Must nto have Java or something. Anyways, If that was me I would try and get back all the money
    I can could, those Dickey hatchers are exspensive! [​IMG]

[​IMG] Darn USPS, everytime!

6. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    Looks like it had a run in with one of their sorters or something. I cannot think of where the grease would come from other than getting caught on a conveyor or something.

I haven't ever made a claim against ups insurance, but i do know that usps does not refund shipping.

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    the latches will always break off if mailed attached. Mr. Dickey recommends that certain parts are not in place when shipped.

the pic on the bottom, it has the top bar in place. that should not be shipped like that. it will crack.

the goo looks like rotten something or oil. [​IMG]

(oh, BTW, i am in no way saying that UPS didn't drop it or damage it, just FYI that those parts can break easily when attached, according to Mr. Dickey's paperwork that accompanies the machine.)

8. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    [​IMG] So sorry about your dickey. I would have been devistated! Waiting in anticipation of all those fuzzy butts you were going to hatch only to open the box to this disaster! How awful!
    I hope they make it good.

9. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Wow, I am so sorry this happened to you, but be prepared for them to reject the insurance claim based on how it was packed. This happened to me once. I was told the packing was not sufficient for the handling that they said it would go through (which included a UPS employee saying it needed to be able to survive being thrown across the room.) I was told that unless UPS packs it, they don't always guarantee it. Hopefully your case will be different.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2009
  10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I am so sorry, Sharon. [​IMG]

Was it insured for the full price of a new dickey or just what you paid for it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by