Upset with feedstore.

My local co-op had a basement flood. Since the bag I bought a month later was "plasticized" and not paper, they apparently didn't realize it got wet through the bottom seam. I didn't see any mold till I was at the bottom of the bag, then it was too late. I store all my feed in big trash cans, in the original bags so I know it was wet before I bought it. TSC has quite a rep lately for selling moldy feed, it seems. Not sure if it's the way they store it or what, but they are obviously not the only ones.

I had gotten 2 bags of sweet feed and when I got toward the bottom of the one bag, I scooped out 2 rats - yes rats, not mice!
sickbyc.gif

it happens - pin the butt for us, but considering how much feed I go through for the horses and chickens, it doesn't seem like a huge deal. Granted, having to take bags of feed back to the store because of mold shouldn't happen. Those bags shouldve been off the shelves. They have a shelf life. Look for the date on the bag.

Quote:
Actually when I called them they asked me what the date was on the bag and then told me they were trying to sell it before it went bad. So they knew it wasn't good or wasn't going to be good for long.

Old chicken feed does not go moldy, it loses nutritional value. Feed that has got damp goes moldy.

I highly doubt they intentionally tried to sell you moldy feed, it's not worth the hassle.

Quote:
Actually when I called them they asked me what the date was on the bag and then told me they were trying to sell it before it went bad. So they knew it wasn't good or wasn't going to be good for long.

Old chicken feed does not go moldy, it loses nutritional value. Feed that has got damp goes moldy.

I highly doubt they intentionally tried to sell you moldy feed, it's not worth the hassle.

It was definitely moldy. Large clumps, smelled really bad, and the inside liner was peeling apart. On the phone they said "Just bring it back, we'll take care of you." When I got there is was "I'm taking this to the back." and I was ignored, no offer to get the feed or even an apology for having to drive all that way twice. All they seemed to care about was that no one else saw the feed.

You're missing the point. I'm not saying your feed was not moldy. I am saying that a near expiration date would not indicate moldiness, that occurs when a bag has got damp not old. If you didn't know it was moldy until you opened it, how would they?

They probably wanted to take it out the back of the store so that it was not accidentally sold and could be returned for credit.

When you buy animal feed it happens from time to time.

I've had the rare bag of weevily, webby, or wet feed from every feed store that I've ever dealt with for long periods of time. It pays to learn what your preferred feed looks like when it's fresh and wholesome so that you'll know something is wrong when you open the bag. It's not always the feed store's fault. Sometimes it comes that way from the distributor.

.....Alan.

Just the way they said on the phone that they were trying to sell it before it went bad made me feel like they didn't really care if a customer got bad feed or not. Oh well, maybe they will bring it back or maybe not.

I never has an issue with my feed store, they store all the food in a ware house like building, I buy rat food, rabbit food, chicken feed, and hay. I really like the hay as it's field cutting so it as all sorts of healthy grasses is it. I was thinking of outside storage for the feed but I might just wait until we build our shed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom