Upset.......

Exotics R Us

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Carolinas
All of you giving out other Breeders hard work on the makings of Peafowl Colors ETC...... Boy I'd be pretty darn MAD and UPSET unless I said it was ok to put this info on a public Forum.

All of this looks good on paper but it isn't that easy, I know I'm no Brainiac / Superintelligent breeder but When you spend years and years breeding splits and other colors together hatching 1000's of peachicks and MAYBE you will hatch just one (1) that you are looking for then someone puts ALL your hard work on a peafowl forum. That's just not right and very uncool. I know I will get DOGGED for writing this but trade places with one of these breeders and wear their shoes.

I would say if the Breeder wanted all their hard work posted he or she would do it themselves.

Ricky

Well, I don't really have a dog (or bird) in this fight, but if the guy is selling his new colors and patterns on his website for 500 a pair, I don't see why he wouldn't welcome a little free advertising. Just saying.

See I told you I would get flack. Free advertising is fine but don't tell everyone how they're made, then no one would spend $500.00 for all your hard work to buy the bird. You would make it yourself.

Ricky

Brad Legg has the history of various peafowl mutations posted on his website, including the ones he pioneered. He doesn't seem to mind folks knowing how they came to be, even though he could have kept the information secret and tried to corner the market.

Not everybody is closefisted enough to withold information that benefits the hobby. To assume that all breeders guard such information aggressively is a bit pessimistic.

We have been breeding Peafowl for about 10 years now, and know alot on what to breed to get some of these colors know some things about the Peach that most folks don't but it's not up to me to tell if the breeder wants to let them, also most breeders won't tell you everything they will always leave one ingredient out when talking with you. But I would have to agree Free Advertisment is fine but don't tell off how they are made. If the breeder has it on their website then send them there.

I think instead of working towards new colors we need to fix some we already have like the Charcoal.

1. Find out why and how to fix the hen so she will lay eggs and if she does lay find out why not fertile.

2. Find out why most of the Males only live about 10 years if your lucky.

I don't like the Charcoal Peafowl myself, but we have it so we should fix it.

Last edited:
Even if folks put the info out there, most of us would never get any use out of it. As you said, we would have to breed a lot of birds just to see if we can get 'the one'. Wouldn't a serious breeder be more inclined to capitalize of the other breeders hard work and just buy the colors? Then instead of keeping a lot of peafowl to try to breed for that color, they can put their time and resources into perfecting it?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom