Upside down Silkie

cougar meadows

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 30, 2012
I have a 8 month old silkie hen that started dragging her leg about 2 weeks ago (always had sort of a limp to her). About 5 days ago, she really started to drag the leg and spent more time sitting than walking about. 4 days ago, I moved her to an isolation pen inside another pen so that she wouldn't have to worry about being "run over" by the other chickens. Since then every time I go into the pen I find her upside down. She tries to move and falls onto her back (either back-ways or sideways), because one leg is not working, she can't right herself. I have been giving her "super booster" in-case she had an infection, that doesn't seem to be helping. If I prop her up by her water/food dish she will eat, she seem bright eyed but within about 20 minutes, she back on her back again. I'm torn as whether to put her out of her misery or let her go on and see if she "heals". Problem is, I don't know what's wrong. The "bad leg" can clutch my fingers if I set her upright on my wrist. It almost seems as though her whole body is slowly deforming....... She was bought from a lady, not hatched here...so I don't know her history. Help???

I had a silkie recently that was limping then lost use of both her legs i put her out of misery. Incase it was mereks

I found a silkie of mine limping the other day, I'm worried sick about mareks. I had a bantam cochin die a month or so ago and I wasn't sure if it was mareks, now I'm thinking it was :( it's sickening. My cochin couldn't always stay standing perfect, if she bent over she might fall but not on her back. Only one leg was bad, she died one day just seemingly out of the blue. I had her in the house and one day she went downhill fast.

Thank you for your replies. After looking at mareik images we put her down. Now how do I sanatize the coop?

Thank you for your replies. After looking at mareik images we put her down. Now how do I sanatize the coop?

So sorry!
hugs.gif
She may or may not have Marek's. only a necropsy will tell. To me, it sounds more like some neuro condition. You can sanitize the coop with Oxine or Vikon , mix with water and put in one of those hose sprayers. That's what I do.

Back
Top Bottom