Urban Coop Ideas Needed

SunshineSteedFarm

Seramatching Equestrian
10 Years
Aug 18, 2009
Georgia
I am in need of some ideas for a coop in the suburbs. I know what I want, but I dont have a clue on how to make plans for it. So if anyone has any pointers/pictures/ideas for me that would be great! I have looked through some of the coop designs here on BYC, but I thought asking here would point me in the right direction.
smile.png

I am thinking if a coop that is...

-Pleasing to the eye
-On the cheaper side, doesnt have to be dirt cheap though.
-Easy/Quick to build
-On the smaller side of things, I dont have to be able to be in the coop.

Thank you so much!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
We did a dog house type and a rabbit run for the run.....Then we decided to make it less long and put the coop on top of run and added a ladder for them.....just remember that you will add and change your mind a thousand times....Then we wanted more head room and opened the top and added another roof.....I will see if I can get a picture....we are in Orlando and in the city so we keep it clean small and simple....2 Rhode Island Reds....

I bought a coop from mobilechickencoops.com, put solar panels on the roof, a marine battery inside, and used that to charge poultry netting, which is really easy to move around. You can move the netting, the coop, or both quite easily. I'll see whether I can dig up some pictures. The owner, Josh Hudgins, is a super-nice guy and knows tons about chickens; he'll custom build any design or kit you want.

Here's my urban coop. It is in the medium coop section of the coop pages, but I would call it small. I keep 4 chickens in it. It wasn't hard to build, and I used a lot of recycled materials, including used stuff I bought at Habitat for Humanity's ReStore. There is a detailed list of how much I spent and what was new vs. recycled on my page. Sorry, no formal plans though.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=20741

100_2182.jpg

However, I would recommend the playhouse coop that is the small coop index picture for the Coop pages if you need good plans. It would be easy to recreate. I know there are lots of plans out there for it and it wasn't too hard to build; my neighbor made a variation of it. There are probably 4 versions in the coop pages and they each have helpful details on how to build them.

playhouse-coop-2.jpg

Here is a link to the one above.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/coops/playhouse-coop.html

There is even a video on it.

coop5.jpg

28793_finished_chicken_coop_05-14-09_003.jpg

and there are others.
3812_finished_coop.jpg

I have another neighbor down the street that built one similar to this one, but about 4 feet longer on the run part. I think he spent around $150 and a couple of weekend days.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=34095
34095_hen_house-front.jpg

I built the playhouse coop. It's a great design and you can alter it to suit your needs. Mine is almost finished now, just the trim and a little paint on the bottom. The chickie girls have moved in and love it. There's more pics on my BYC page.

Back
Top Bottom