Urban Flock with a LOUD Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Yanna, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Yanna

Yanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Illinois
    Hi there,

I have five chicks (2 3-week-old mixed bantams and 3 10-day-old BR pullets) in a brooder on my locked screened-in front porch. One of the BR pullets is loud, so loud that I'm concerned she'll disturb the neighbors (she definitely disturbs US!). :eek:

She doesn't holler for any discernible reason, which is why it's so irritating as there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to make her happy (unless you have an idea?). Everyone else is happy, they're all milling around with clean litter, plenty of food, water, moderately warm temperatures (85Fish), roosting space and live crickets to chase.

My question is: do loud chicks necessarily become loud chickens? Should I find a new home for her? We're urban chicken keepers and obnoxious birds are not really an option.

Thanks in advance!

Edited for Redundance.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Barred Rocks are just noisy chickens! I've read over and over about people having BR's and how noisy they are. My little BR is 10 wks. old now and has never bother us, but we are rural and don't have to worry about disturbing the peace. If she's noisy now, chances are she will continue to be noisy.

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My BR goes "chook chook chook" every once in a while but overall is fairly quiet. The banty sends up a warning call - very funny - when she sees a sleeping cat.

But it's our darned RIR who goes bonkers and makes noise.
    all.
    the.
    time.

4. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Our one Partridge Rock is the same way. Everyone else is fine. She wont stop! Right now I am considering rehoming her. Between the kid, the dog, the cats I really dont need a loud chicken added to the bedlam.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by