Urban Homesteaders

Pics
The old timers used to use the old hens for stewing. I've not yet done so, but many pressure can their chicken which makes it very tender. I process my roos, but have found it worth while to sell off the older hens when I make room for the new pullets.

Kudos to you for using the land that you DO HAVE available to grow some food. If every body who COULD do so WOULD do so, we could turn the economy of this country around. Without getting all political, I would add that IMO our national leaders would dread to see that happen.

The old timers used to use the old hens for stewing.  I've not yet done so, but many pressure can their chicken which makes it very tender.  I process my roos, but have found it worth while to sell off the older hens when I make room for the new pullets.  

Kudos to you for using the land that you DO HAVE available to grow some food.  If every body who COULD do so WOULD do so, we could turn the economy of this country around.  Without getting all political, I would add that IMO our national leaders would dread to see that happen.
guess I need to learn how to can!

In the green house: Lettuce, kale, broccoli, chard, spinach, garlic, oregano, parsley, garlic, thyme, dill. Need to add some chives, beets, carrots. Other crops that do well in winter with protection are Mache and Claytonia.

I mentioned that I may be decreasing my flock for the winter and my dad offered to take any or all of them off my hands. He loves his chicken and dumplings. I gave the parents two of my 15 week old roo's when I butchered them. He was complaining that they couldn't get a stewing hen from the store anymore, but says mine are better than any from the store anyway.

I have to admit, the old hens sure have a lot of flavor. Just cook them Low and Slow.

I thought I'd resurrect this thread and ask what y'alls plans are for spring 2017?

I'm in zone 5b, so we won't be planting for at least a couple more months, but I've been checking out the seed catalogs. I'm hoping to plant:

spinach
peas
carrots
garlic
potatoes
beans (a few different kids, most for dried beans)
tomatoes
& peppers

We're getting our first chickens this spring, so we've been collecting pallets for our coop.

We're also planning on installing rain barrels once it starts warming up :)

I thought I'd resurrect this thread and ask what y'alls plans are for spring 2017?

I'm in zone 5b, so we won't be planting for at least a couple more months, but I've been checking out the seed catalogs. I'm hoping to plant:

spinach
peas
carrots
garlic
potatoes
beans (a few different kids, most for dried beans)
tomatoes
& peppers

We're getting our first chickens this spring, so we've been collecting pallets for our coop.

We're also planning on installing rain barrels once it starts warming up :)
Welcome to BYC. Always busy here, though in a bit of a lull right now. Starting some sweet potato slips. Have 3 sprouts started, and looks like #4 is just starting to take form. Transplanting some of my potted plants. Over time, I'm moving more towards all of my house plants being of a functional nature, instead of merely decorative. I have citronella, which I've been able to keep going for 4 years. Great in the nest box. Also have mint, and basil, and just recently had some success with ginger. Soil in green house is finally thawed, so will seed that in the next couple of weeks. Will also be starting seedlings at the same time. Then, moving on to incubation. Plan to have eggs going into lock down the same day an order of chicks arrive. I'm in zone 4B. Check out Fedco Seeds. I can't imagine ordering my seeds anywhere else, though I occasionally do order a little bit of this and that elsewhere. Also, check out Back to Eden gardening.

thanks @lazy gardener I watched the video this afternoon and I loved it! I grew up gardening in NC, but this'll be my first one in CO, so a great time to start fresh. I was already planning on going with the "lasagna" method, so I was headed in the right direction I think :)

Since you're in a colder zone, do you normally start seeds indoors first then transplant?

I start peppers and tomatoes inside, for sure. Start cabbage, and broccoli. More apt to start lettuce in flats late summer so they can then be transplanted to green house with some size on them. all of the small seeded stuff gets started in the garden: lettuce, spinnach, carrots and the like. You can start cucurbits in containers, but they really don't get much of a head start over the ones you start in the garden. Some times I do both, just to hedge my bets. Most flowers get started inside.

We used to be considered rural a few years ago, but a for-profit institution set up shop nearby and rezoned everything... We are still very rural despite being within walking distance of the "school".

We have:
4 Khaki Campbells
2 Poodles (one being a decent farm dog believe it or not)
3 Cats
2 Fancy Mice
1 Leopard Gecko
1 Guinea Pig
1 Syrian Hamster
1 Tank of Tropical Fish
1 Beagle

We grow:
Cherry Tomatoes
Tomatoes
White Onions
Red Onions