URGENMT PLEASE ANSWER

Listen to Speckledhen...she's never steared anyone wrong. You have to separate new chickens or there WILL be trouble. If not from disease then from major pecking.

I have to agree on all points. You don't want to lose any birds regardless is it's to disease or a pecking order. Ewesheep you are correct. My golden polish named Rootbeer was on the bottom of the pecking order and had some terrible wounds to her back. She now wears a diaper in the house. That might be your only option in separating your one that got attacked. You can go to www.chickendiaper.com to look at the diapers. She's great to work with and does a really nice job on them. Haven't had one mess from them.

Last edited:
After my chicks turned about 3 three months old one of what I thought was a leghorn hen was being beat up and could hardly walk much less socialize with the rest of the flock, I took her out and kept her alone for at least a month while she healed and once she was doing better I introduced her back into the flock by putting her in the coop at night after the others had settled down for the night then took her out in the morning. After about a week of this, I finally left her with the others and all turned out fine.

Now I now that she was actually a slow developing roo and what was happening was that the other roo's were fighting him, once he was healthy again there was been no issue and he is almost at the top of the pecking order.

If you have a sick or hurt chicken, get it away from the rest; chickens can be cruel and they won't stop picking esp if the hurt one can't get awya or defend themselves.

i have 5 polish chicks i hatched from Rob here on BYC...Im planning on keeping them in their own coop...i may keep them with the silkies I hatched with them...who knows. At the moment we have i think 2 pullest and 2 roos ( 5 weeks old) that are BLP and 1 pullet who is a SLP. Are the polish roos noisy?

Back
Top Bottom