URGENT ADVICE NEEDED: Rooster attacked by dog 48 hours ago

He's stable today but still not eating or drinking. Pupils are equally reactive to light and the same shape and size. He is holding himself upright for linger periods of time and is MUCH more aware of my presence when I'm nearby. He's almost relieved to see me when I come in as he takes a deep sigh and closes his eyes and rests for awhile.

I have Amoxicillin 500mg capsules and Clindamycin 150mg capsules as well as IM antibiotics. Other than that, I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing as he is showing improvement everyday.

Keeping fingers crossed!!!
Try and get him to drink as birds become dehydrated very fast. He is probably much more relaxed when you are around,as he can let his "guard down" knowing that you will protect him. Has the pink tinged fluid stopped leaking from one ear? Best case scenario would be a ruptured eardrum as opposed to a skull fracture,eardrum will heal.

See if you can purchase some Metacam from a vet for pain,as pain is probably an issue with him not eating/drinking. You can also give a low dose aspirin(81mg) or a reg aspirin(325mg)dose is 25mg per lb of body weight,give orally(wrap in pce of cheese or meat)or sprinkle over feed or crush and place in water.

Are you giving him all three antibiotics?

The blood and liquid has stopped from the ear finally. As for the antibiotics, I'm not sure where to start. I don't know the mgs/kgs conversion for chickens. He weighs about 8 lbs. Goats and horses sure! Chickens are a bit smaller tho... LOL!'

Amoxicillin dosage is 125 mg per each 2.2 lb every 12 hours, or 100 mg per each 2.2 lb every 8 hours. I'm still looking for clindamycin. I know the dosage for my 10 lb cat was 25 mg twice a day, LOL.

The blood and liquid has stopped from the ear finally. As for the antibiotics, I'm not sure where to start. I don't know the mgs/kgs conversion for chickens. He weighs about 8 lbs. Goats and horses sure! Chickens are a bit smaller tho... LOL!'
8 pounds is 3.63kg, so 454mg (125mg/kg) every 12 hours or 363mg (100mg/kg) every 8 hours. I would probably just give 500mg every 12 hours.
big_smile.png
I'm not positive, but I think amoxicillin would be given for 7-14 days depending on the type of infection, so don't start it unless you have at least a weeks worth lined up.

-Kathy

Disclaimer: Did not check my math, so please double check it for me, lol.

Doing much better today! Put him outside in a large crate with food and water for sun and fresh air. All the girls swarmed him wondering who the new guy was. He snacked a little on raw egg and drank a lot of water on his own. Holding his head up 100% of the time now! Keeping with the meds for 7 days. :)

Back
Top Bottom