Urgent advice on chicken feed

Pics
There was one that I thought would be great, had all the right ingredients and promises by the company, but the flock hated it, they were barely eating
This is important. If they won't eat it, they're not getting the lauded nutrients. Below a relevant quote from Robinson that I posted on another thread:
"Balancing the ration does not imply simply the provision of a given proportion of proteins, carbohydrates, minerals and vitamins. It is possible to construct a ration in which all the essential food constituents are present in the proper proportion, and yet it would fail on account of unpalatability, low digestibility or unsuitable physical condition... The formula is not the only matter to consider. By using inferior ingredients a mash may be made totally unsuitable...the value of a formula may be completely destroyed by the inclusion of poor-quality foods. Every poultry-keeper should learn to judge foodstuffs. They should be able to distinguish between the good, the bad and the indifferent." Leonard Robinson Modern Poultry Husbandry, published in 1948, and based on data and practices in the years between the two world wars, when poultry farmers made their own rations.
I think you are right to trust your birds' instincts.

Hi everyone, been a long while. I'll keep it short and sweet
We rent a cottage on a homestead and they have chickens, we get eggs regularly.

The chickens look rather terrible and the owners are struggling to keep them into top condition as she is trying her best to have a small egg business.

What fresh veg and scraps can I give them to help boost their diet and overall condition as I feel guilty for accepting eggs from them in such condition? I frequently have lots of veg scraps, couscous, rice and Oats. I've been meaning to give them the crushed shells back but time is scarce with a 7 month old baby.

Advice please? I intend to drop off some carrots, cabbage, shells and Oats today

In regards to Oats, should it be soaked, cooked or dry?
I give my girls cabbage, broccoli slaw, shredded carrots, treat with raisins and chia seeds. Dried Oregano, and dried stinging nettle for their respiratory from time to time.

Something I seldom see anyone discuss as diet for their chickens is meat. Chickens are omnivores. They eat veggies and grains because it's not easy to find enough meat to satisfy their needs. And grains and veggies are energy easy, they don't run away or fight. When my girls have a chance at meat scraps or insects they'll always abandon any other food. Hens know what they need. If you have any leftover meat scraps (without onions and etc) toss those in to the chicken feed scraps. It will help and they'll love you for it.

Something I seldom see anyone discuss as diet for their chickens is meat. Chickens are omnivores. They eat veggies and grains because it's not easy to find enough meat to satisfy their needs. And grains and veggies are energy easy, they don't run away or fight. When my girls have a chance at meat scraps or insects they'll always abandon any other food.
2nd that..No one mentions how fast chickens will tear into anything meaty. I buy cheap hot dogs JUST for my chickens, one a day. WATER! Always have water along side treats in case there isn't any at their original home!! I'll Cucumbers, non cooked, dry oats are a big hit and DON'T get in the way when Black oil sunflower seeds are thrown down! If we have a heavy bug season, I sweep, save them in an old 20+oz yogurt container, THOSE are a Big Hit.Course, All my chickens are free range, they have a huge supplement in the warmer months.
Short of Some Folks :th in the world, Checking in with the owners; Hinting THIS Site exists, throwing whatever they'll eat out for them, I consider being a good neighbor. Good Luck and Bless you for giving enough to even TRY to help!

Last edited:
Where I live I can get raw peanuts dirt cheap. Would that be a good little protein boost? Can chickens even eat peanuts? Is cooked rice and couscous OK too as I always have leftovers. Also I've added a picture that's pretty close to what the breed of chickens here are (it's just a photo from the web about breeders in south Africa) they look pretty similar, except for physical condition. They seem to be laying pretty well still though. I will definitely get chicken feed, even if I'm sneaky about it

@Debbie292d I'm just an animal person 😂 I will go to impossible lengths to aid an animal. Many people tell me to grow up but I guess that it's just who I am. If I can raise an emu by hand with zero experience, dang nabbit I'll feed this flock!
Those look like Cornish chickens or Cornish cross. Their chests look bigger than the leghorns. They grow very fast (the Cornish crosses are slaughtered at 6-8 weeks) and need a lot of food, but not too much. Older ones can die of heart attacks or torn muscles.

Hi everyone, been a long while. I'll keep it short and sweet
We rent a cottage on a homestead and they have chickens, we get eggs regularly.

The chickens look rather terrible and the owners are struggling to keep them into top condition as she is trying her best to have a small egg business.

What fresh veg and scraps can I give them to help boost their diet and overall condition as I feel guilty for accepting eggs from them in such condition? I frequently have lots of veg scraps, couscous, rice and Oats. I've been meaning to give them the crushed shells back but time is scarce with a 7 month old baby.

Advice please? I intend to drop off some carrots, cabbage, shells and Oats today

In regards to Oats, should it be soaked, cooked or dry?
all that you mentioned sounds nice. If they are being provoked to lay during this time of year- they may need protein and Calcium, to return to their system. My chicken prefer eating dried egg shells rather than the oyster shells- so, if you put your cracked shells into a basket or bucket, let them accumulate, they will dry on their own... Once a week, or so, I then use a random jar or flat bottomed glass to crunch them up. It is a bit satisfying to do too. No real prep or trouble. Some bake them, yada yada - no need.
This will help them tremendously. Lettuce, cabbage head, any greens, apple peels & cores, all good

If they are being provoked to lay during this time of year- they may need protein and Calcium, to return to their system.
Why do you say "provoked to lay during this time of year" ?
It is summer for them-- of course they are laying! The post you quoted is from a person in South Africa.

(I agree that hens who are laying do need protein and calcium, no matter what time of year.)

Also the rooster looks to be in fabulous condition, maybe 3 hens too. Could he POSSIBLY be overzealous with the others causing feather loss? Some of the girls are BALD BUTTS and no tail feathers
Is it just bald butts, or bald backs? I'm wondering if what you are seeing might be damage from the rooster mating the hens. Pictures of the bald spots would help.

Bald butts (as opposed to bald backs) and ratty feathers can also be caused by lice or mites. The chickens would need to be picked up and examined to know whether that is the case.

If you think it might be protein deficiency, giving tuna or sardines canned in water is an easy thing to do. The chickens love it and, when given in moderation, it is a extremely nutritious protein source.

Healthy chickens need a healthy home/ environment as much as good feed. I hope everything goes well. Your kind to help like you are. Having different feed stations helps to give all chickens a chance to eat. Fresh water daily and fresh feed. Also, places to get out of the sun.

Back
Top Bottom