Urgent advice on chicken feed

Pics

OstrichEmu

Chirping
Sep 10, 2021
Gauteng, South Africa
Hi everyone, been a long while. I'll keep it short and sweet
We rent a cottage on a homestead and they have chickens, we get eggs regularly.

The chickens look rather terrible and the owners are struggling to keep them into top condition as she is trying her best to have a small egg business.

What fresh veg and scraps can I give them to help boost their diet and overall condition as I feel guilty for accepting eggs from them in such condition? I frequently have lots of veg scraps, couscous, rice and Oats. I've been meaning to give them the crushed shells back but time is scarce with a 7 month old baby.

Advice please? I intend to drop off some carrots, cabbage, shells and Oats today

In regards to Oats, should it be soaked, cooked or dry?

Hi everyone, been a long while. I'll keep it short and sweet
We rent a cottage on a homestead and they have chickens, we get eggs regularly.

The chickens look rather terrible and the owners are struggling to keep them into top condition as she is trying her best to have a small egg business.

What fresh veg and scraps can I give them to help boost their diet and overall condition as I feel guilty for accepting eggs from them in such condition? I frequently have lots of veg scraps, couscous, rice and Oats. I've been meaning to give them the crushed shells back but time is scarce with a 7 month old baby.

Advice please? I intend to drop off some carrots, cabbage, shells and Oats today

In regards to Oats, should it be soaked, cooked or dry?
Well I gave them carrots, baby squash, tons of spinach and some Oats. The Oats were a complete hit... Was just a handful for like 20 chickens. Hope it's ok

I strongly recommend that you talk to the owner about what you want to give her chickens. If what she says is different than what I say, go with what she says (because they are her chickens!)

Those scraps will probably not cause problems, but will probably not make much difference either. This is especially true for the vegetables: no harm, some minor benefit (vitamins & minerals), not much protein, not much energy (calories).

If the chickens are actually short on food, a bag of chicken food would be much more useful. I would not give them any grains that you have to buy, because grains tend to be low in protein AND tend to cost more than proper chicken food (that has more protein and is properly balanced to contain the nutrients chickens need). Just buying a bag of chicken feed is a much better use of money. Again, talk to the owner about what kind of chicken feed. (If she has no opinion, I would probably get chick starter, preferably a bag that does not say "medicated." Chick starter is nutritionally good for chickens of all ages.)

Giving scraps to the chickens does make sense (things you would otherwise throw away or compost.) Chickens can eat grains raw or cooked, wet or dry, ground or whole (so if you spill a pile of something on the floor, it's generally fine to sweep it up and give it to the chickens, and they can usually have sandwich crusts and leftover oatmeal and so forth.) It just does not make sense to pay people-food prices for things that are not particularly good chicken food (such as grains), which is why I would not give them to the chickens if they are still in a condition suitable for people to eat.

Last edited:
I strongly recommend that you talk to the owner about what you want to give her chickens. If what she says is different than what I say, go with what she says (because they are her chickens!)

Those scraps will probably not cause problems, but will probably not make much difference either. This is especially true for the vegetables: no harm, some minor benefit (vitamins & minerals), not much protein, not much energy (calories).

If the chickens are actually short on food, a bag of chicken food would be much more useful. I would not give them any grains that you have to buy, because grains tend to be low in protein AND tend to cost more than proper chicken food (that has more protein and is properly balanced to contain the nutrients chickens need). Just buying a bag of chicken feed is a much better use of money. Again, talk to the owner about what kind of chicken feed. (If she has no opinion, I would probably get chick starter, preferably a bag that does not say "medicated." Chick starter is nutritionally good for chickens of all ages.)

Given scraps to the chickens does make sense (things you would otherwise throw away or compost.) Chickens can eat grains raw or cooked, wet or dry, ground or whole (so if you spill a pile of something on the floor, it's generally fine to sweep it up and give it to the chickens, and they can usually have sandwich crusts and leftover oatmeal and so forth.) It just does not make sense to pay people-food prices for things that are not particularly good chicken food (such as grains), which is why I would not give them to the chickens if they are still in a condition suitable for people to eat.
The owners are 100% alright with us feeding the chickens, they are mostly fed with fresh scraps anyways. I'm just wondering what I could add to the or diet to help them gain weight and better their condition. I'm looking at freeze dried crickets as well, and calcium supplements (any recommendations?) We are very close with the owners and we help out around the homestead/estate wherever possible

Might be worth is to point out that we live in South Africa and it's HOTTTT at the moment

The owners are 100% alright with us feeding the chickens, they are mostly fed with fresh scraps anyways. I'm just wondering what I could add to the or diet to help them gain weight and better their condition. I'm looking at freeze dried crickets as well, and calcium supplements (any recommendations?) We are very close with the owners and we help out around the homestead/estate wherever possible

Might be worth is to point out that we live in South Africa and it's HOTTTT at the moment

In that case, definitely yes for the scraps.

For calcium: definitely your own eggshells. Just drop them in a bowl or other container as you use them, and give a squish before tossing them to the chickens. Or drop them on the ground and step on them. There is no need to wash, dry, bake, grind, or anything else complicated.

Other calcium sources: crushed oyster shells are a common calcium supplement for chickens, usually available in a big bag (50 pounds or so, maybe 20 kilograms?) for a reasonable price. I don't know exactly what is available in your area. You might need to walk into an animal feed store and look at the options, or check their website, or telephone them and ask what is available. They may also call it by a different name, or have something similar (like other kinds of shells instead of oyster, or small chunks of limestone, or something like that.)

For other feed, I would still look into buying actual chicken feed (look at the price, look at the protein content.) Freeze-dried crickets tend to be very expensive for what you get. Definitely check prices, and look at how much protein and how much of what else is in each option (if you need help with the math part, you can post numbers on here.)

I am in the USA. Here, chicken feed is a much better deal (price) than almost any other thing I could buy to give to chickens. Cost per pound of feed, cost per calorie, cost per pound of protein in the feed: it comes out very good for all of those. (The things that are cheaper per-pound or per-calorie tend to be too low in protein. Anything with more protein tends to be a much more expensive way to get protein. Protein in chicken feed is usually cheaper than protein in chicken treats like crickets, or protein in dog food or cat food, or protein in people food. There are always a few exceptions, but that is the general pattern.)

I do not know what is available in your area, so the patterns might be the same or different.

The owners are 100% alright with us feeding the chickens, they are mostly fed with fresh scraps anyways. I'm just wondering what I could add to the or diet to help them gain weight and better their condition.
If there are only so many scraps each day, one way to improve the condition of the chickens: butcher a few. That leaves the others to get more scraps per chicken, so they do better. (Not your chickens, so not your decision, but if the owners are concerned about the chickens they may want to consider that idea.)

We are in a similar situation. Free range chickens that belong to neighbors 5 houses away come to our house starving. They aren't our chickens but we supplement and try to help take care of them. The one productive conversation I had with the owner included her telling me she didn't care what we feed to them. I was worried about their nutrition so I bought real chicken feed (stopped assuming they were feeding them that). I also give them high protein treats (eg -- any and all meat scraps, tuna, scrambled eggs) and other treats (sunflower seeds and shredded cheese). They like chicken feed dry or dampened with warm water (like a mush). We've done this for about 7 weeks now and they look amazing. It has pulled them out of molting, brought them up to a healthier weight, and helped 2 injured ones recover more quickly. One rooster had its tail snatched off by something. We've given him extra protein and his tail and abrasions have rebounded way faster than I would have guessed. I also deliberately buy things I know they love (melons and tomatoes) because I can count on being able to share with them. I half then scoop out the melon I want them let them peck at the melon "bowl" until it's absolutely bare. They love tomato scraps too. The other thing they seem to like is cooked and mashed turnips and rutabagas. These chickens eat their chicken feed better if I mix in a few dry oats and/or unsalted sunflower seeds.

Almost any veggies are okay, mine don't care for carrots (whatever girls!), this link has a pretty good list. During hot weather, melons are a big favorite with my girls. Most layer feeds have extra calcium in them, as opposed to all flock feed which doesn't have extra calcium.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/top-50-list-of-what-chickens-can-cant-eat.76837/
Mine don't love carrots either. Turnips, yes. Carrots, no. Luckily, we like carrots enough for all of us. lol Our chick-or-treaters love melon. They would eat melon in the snow.

Given scraps to the chickens does make sense (things you would otherwise throw away or compost.) Chickens can eat grains raw or cooked, wet or dry, ground or whole (so if you spill a pile of something on the floor, it's generally fine to sweep it up and give it to the chickens, and they can usually have sandwich crusts and leftover oatmeal and so forth.) It just does not make sense to pay people-food prices for things that are not particularly good chicken food (such as grains), which is why I would not give them to the chickens if they are still in a condition suitable for people to eat.
you might find this useful
https://poultrynutri.com/feed/types-of-grains-used-in-chicken-feed/

Back
Top Bottom