URGENT!!!! Any advise?????

I was fortunately able to find a vet who owns chickens and frequently brings them into the clinic to treat them. She couldn't detect any stuck eggs or vent blockages, but was very concerned about the weight loss. So we actually had to do an x-ray. Most of everything, including heart, lungs, etc looked fine on the x-ray however the vet said that it looks like she has an air sack infection. Never in my life have I heard of such a thing! She was showing us x-rays of healthy birds, and the air sacks were clearly visible. On my hen's x-ray, you could barely see them whatsoever. The vet says she has never seen this in a chicken before, and it mainly occurs in other avian species such as parrots. It made me wonder if it has happened to other chickens too, but due to lack of an x-ray gets written off as something else. This particular infection could be either bacterial or fungal, but without doing a biopsy of the air sack we can't know for certain.

So after that insane diagnosis, the vet gave us antibiotic pills, an antifungal medication, antibiotic foot soak for her bumblefeet, and topical ointment for her feet. This was not a cheap visit to the vet. And let me tell you, if you have never tried to feed pills to a chicken, you are missing out on getting violently bitten and pecked at in rage.

Anyway, this course of treatment is what the vet said she would do if it was one of her birds. She did warn us, though, that a lot of internal infections can be fatal because chickens will not start exhibiting symptoms that something is wrong until the illness is advanced enough to be quite serious. So I can imagine there's a lot that we are just not able to catch in time.

I might make a separate post about this just for informative purposes since I never even knew anything could go wrong with their air sacks.

Air sacculitis is a secondary infection of the air sacs of birds after an infection in the respiratory system or other organs. A chicken can develop a mild case of infectious bronchitis or mycoplasma , or other disease, and then E.coli, staph, or a fungus such as aspergillis can move in and cause worse problems. There are 9 air sacs throughout a bird's body and below is a diagram of their location. There are many articles online about this if you Google it, but here is one that defines it and gives a lot of info: http://www.fwi.co.uk/articles/12/03/2014/143321/how-to-control-airsacculitis-in-chickens.htm

bird-lungs-image-2.jpg

Last edited:
9 air sacs! There is a cervical air sac which I never knew about. Thank you for the diagram as I have searched for this many times online and can never find the answer and a diagram. For some reasons, all air sacs are never labeled or even on the diagram. This will help me so much in discussing my sick duck with the vet.

Back
Top Bottom