Urgent!! Button Egg is Pipped in the bottom end!

Quote:
JoJo, I think you will be fine with this one. But, if it does start to zip out on the bottom, wait until it is nearly out and really struggling to help it out. Chicks need to struggle out of the egg to get their blood and heart rate up for a reason. But if it really does get stuck after it's head is out, then you might want to intervene some. Just make sure the zipping process looks normal in every other way. Good luck!!

Hi there!
Thanks!!
I'm not wanting to "help" it if I can avoid that.. been there done that... too much stress! It's my heart rate that goes up. lol...
I didn't know they needed to get their heart rate up.. neat to know. I know it all makes them stronger in some way or another.
I'll be around till noon tomorrow to help if it's stuck. So I hope it gets it's butt in gear and finishes tonight. lol...

Hey...
It's cold wet and trying to snow here!! Payback???
gig.gif

Well,
I ended up having to help the little guy after all.
He was stuck good! The poor thing was tangled up like a little pretzel.
He's doing good now and resting ..

At midnight, 14 hrs after finding him pipped, no change.
So I opened the egg a tiny bit to find his head trapped between a wing and leg, in the down position. There is no way he could zip.
I put him back for a few hours.. no change, so in the middle of the night, (I tired lol ) I opened it up from small end to large, he got one leg out so I put him back to see if he'd finish on his own.
Got up this morning and no change! The poor thing was still tangled.
So I got him the rest of the way out...

He was chirping and stretching! All yolk and blood was absorbed!

I set him in a basket in the bator to keep an eye and let him rest, we'll see how he is later.

There was a baby explosion last nignt! LOL!

Quaillady, we are up to 8 now!
And

Shelleyd! about the same so far from your eggs!

Good job !!
thumbsup.gif

Little guy has no idea how lucky he is to get adopted by a good human!!! Now, deep breaths......more coffee once your blood pressure goes down........

SOOO glad to hear the little guy is out and alive!!! GREAT job JoJo! Keep us informed on his progress.
thumbsup.gif

navasima~ Thanks! I took your advice, drank some extra coffee, then left to bowl... You should have seen my score, couldn't throw striaght to save my life...
lau.gif

mochicken & Twocrows Pictures and progress will have to be as a group. The little stinker got out of the basket wheile I was gone and is now mixed in with all the others and I really don't know which one it is.
gig.gif
He hadn't fluffed so I don't know for sure which one it is. LOL!
But I'm glad he was able to run with the crowd.

Now , in the past few hours some Coturnix have hatched! Woooo Hooo!!!

Leyla,
Still cold and yucky here! Trying to snow! lol... I'm a big baby and don't deal with cold. lol..

Sorry I was late to the party, but glad it worked out okay. For future reference, I will correct some misinformation on this thread just in case someone actually USES the search feature and comes across it needing help
smile.png

It will right itself

No, it will not right itself if it is already pipped in the small end. If it was going to right itself it would have done so before pipping.

I'm wondering if the egg needs turned narrow end up?

Yes, you can (could have) done that or you can (could have) just taken it and laid it on its side in the incubator.

it should still "zip"

Sometimes yes, usually no. They usually pip on the 'big end' because it has more room, only a really strong chick can hatch on its own from the 'bottom' of the egg.

Eggs have been hatched forever with a fat ol momma sitting on them and I doubt they all had the perfect pip on top where they could just zip right out of

True, but that 'fat ol momma' doesn't usually sit on her eggs with all their 'small ends' pointing down.
tongue.png

One thing I was worried about is if it could squeeze out the narrow end

They can if they are able to turn in the shell enough to zip. I've had some chicks hatch from the 'wrong' end on their own.

Shelleyd! about the same so far from your eggs!

yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom