Urgent chick leg issues

brokenleg

In the Brooder
May 29, 2016
Florida
Hello all,

I have a month-old Black Star chick, who was perfectly healthy (and loud) until today. I noticed when I went to check on her in the evening that she was not able to stand steadily and was using her wing to balance. Her left leg appears to be completely useless—she doesn't respond to manipulation of her toes, and the leg almost freely flops around. I've isolated her, and so far she's eating, drinking, and noisily signaling her separation anxiety.

When she stands, her foot is slightly curled, and just a bit off the ground. She splays her foot just a little bit off to the side when she's lying down. Her droppings are a bit wet but don't seem too unusual. I'm inclined to believe it is an injury; perhaps she fell hard or got into a fight with a flockmate, though the tendon does not appear to have slipped. There is no visible swelling yet.

Unfortunately, I'm leaving for two weeks starting Tuesday, and I'm not sure if my dad can handle her. I've tried hobbling her so she can try and use her leg, but so far it hasn't made much of a difference. Does anyone have an idea of what this could be? If we must cull her, it will be extremely unpleasant, but we'll do what we have to.

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom