Urgent chicken with leg out to side

mommacoop25

In the Brooder
Sep 26, 2015
Central Illinois
Just got chickens from a gentleman today & not sure if during catching and transfer if something happened but have chicken approx 18 months (Brahma) I think that can't put weight on leg and as she try's to stand up the leg just moves to front or side of her. I have her in a dog kennel inside the run with food & water in it. What should I do? New to being a chicken mom! I don't know if some of the other girls were laying on her of when they caught her that it might have happened

Just got chickens from a gentleman today & not sure if during catching and transfer if something happened but have chicken approx 18 months (Brahma) I think that can't put weight on leg and as she try's to stand up the leg just moves to front or side of her. I have her in a dog kennel inside the run with food & water in it. What should I do? New to being a chicken mom! I don't know if some of the other girls were laying on her of when they caught her that it might have happened

Hello, sorry to hear about your bird. Honestly, I'd pray for her and let her rest by herself. God has been very good to us in answering many prayers for our chickens over the years... I'll pray for her, too. Take care,
Fan

There are a few things that could have happened to her.

Injury could be to blame. I would feel the leg and try to see if something feels out of joint. If it does or she is in pain then I would suggest taking her to the vet or the stew pot.

Birth defect perhaps? I have a hen whose parent birds were not fed a balanced ration and she has a leg issue that is gradually getting worse as she ages. She is 5 now and gets around ok on it. It sounds like yours is non weight bearing so leaning toward injury with yours.

Back
Top Bottom