URGENT Chickens eye swollen

Chiiiickens

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2022
About a week ago, I noticed her eye swollen and red. Redness has gone down, but now there’s green gunk and it gets stuck shut. Reminds me of pink eye. When her eye is open, it’s hazy and I see a white spot that’s under her lower lid. I’ve been treating with vetericyn wash and gel to no avail. She’s lethargic and doesn’t really want to eat or drink, but I did get some electrolyte water in her. My husband went to get VetRx I plan on putting a few drops in her eye once I get it. (Her eye looks red here because I used a wet wash cloth to clean her eye). She just wants to sleep, which is fine because rest will help I know. Just wondering what else I could do.

Attachments

• 562A07BA-0AD9-469B-80AC-C71487AD86B0.jpeg
    562A07BA-0AD9-469B-80AC-C71487AD86B0.jpeg
    577 KB · Views: 66
Save your money and get some Terramycin eye ointment or use plain Neosporin if you cannot get Terramycin in your state. Use it after flushing the eye with saline or eye wash 2-3 times daily. Vet Rx has a few herbs and camphor in it, nothing to treat an eye infection.

Do you see any bubbles or foam in the eye? Crusty eye drainage on the feathers might be a sign of mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) a chronic respiratory infection which causes pinkeye and sinus infections. Tylan 50 injectable cattle medicine can be given orally without the needle to treat symptoms of MG. Dosage is 1/4 of an ml per pound given 3 times daily (remove the needle, give orally.) Generic tylosin powder in the water may also be used.

Last edited:
Save you money and get some Terramycin eye ointment or use plain Neosporin if you cannot get Terramycin in your state. Use it after flushing the eye with saline or eye wash 2-3 times daily. Vet Rx has a few herbs and camphor in it, nothing to treat an eye infection.

Do you see any bubbles or foam in the eye? Crusty eye drainage on the feathers might be a sign of mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) a chronic respiratory infection which causes pinkeye and sinus infections. Tylan 50 injectable cattle medicine can be given orally without the needle to treat symptoms of MG. Dosage is 1/4 of an ml per pound given 3 times daily (remove the needle, give orally.) Generic tylosin powder in the water may also be used.
No foam or bubbles.
I just noticed little black bugs crawling on me and then I checked her and she has them. I got the spray stuff to treat that. Molting season and falling leaves must have brought something in.

I would still treat for an eye infection. What did you use for the lice or mites? Permethrin? Mites should be treated at 7 days intervals 2 or 3 times to get the newly hatched ones before they reproduce. All birds would be affected, and the coop, nests, and roosts should be treated after removing all bedding, and replacing it.

I would still treat for an eye infection. What did you use for the lice or mites? Permethrin? Mites should be treated at 7 days intervals 2 or 3 times to get the newly hatched ones before they reproduce. All birds would be affected, and the coop, nests, and roosts should be treated after removing all bedding, and replacing it.
All TSC had was poultry protector, so I got that. She’s been separated from the flock because of her eye, so I’ve at least treated her for now. Once I can get my hands on the permethrin, I’ll treat everyone!
I syringe fed her egg yolk and more water. I rinsed her eyes, put VetRx on it and neosporin on the affected eye.

Most TSC‘s sell permethrin in the horse sprays and in garden dust. Permethrin 10 concentrate is cheapest. An 8 ounce bottle will mix with water (according to inner label instructions) to make many gallons. It can be used in a spray bottle or garden sprayer which is handy when treating a whole coop.

Most TSC‘s sell permethrin in the horse sprays and in garden dust. Permethrin 10 concentrate is cheapest. An 8 ounce bottle will mix with water (according to inner label instructions) to make many gallons. It can be used in a spray bottle or garden sprayer which is handy when treating a whole coop.
They were completely out! I checked the horse section before checking the chicken section. Even on their app it says not available at my location. I’ll have to order some to be delivered.

I would treat her with something like Poultry Cell or Poultry NutriDrench 2 ml orally twice a day. Or use electrolytes and vitamins of another brand. Try feeding her a mash of chicken feed and a lot of water. Add a little scrambled egg bits or tuna. Canned cat food is also good in moderation. Mix up a small bowl of this twice or 3 times a day and offer it to her. Water is the most important thing for her at first.

Back
Top Bottom