Urgent! considering taking in a pair of chicks, advice!

Quote:
I actually have two rabbit hutches that are on my patio. One they use where I put food under, the other they seldom go in. I was thinking the same but it wouldn't be safe enough for outside the patio. Also, the hutches are divided so 3/4 has wire slats and 1/4 has wood. Can they walk on the wire without hurting their feet? Thanks for the help!!

Wouldn't be the first time that's happened, but hopefully you'll fall in love and want to keep them! Male or female, it doesn't matter that much unless you have restrictions against roosters, which I don't believe you do. We're in Southwest Ranches, so we're very familiar with Parkland - you actually have coyotes? I'm so surprised! I would faint if I saw a coyote. We have enough problems with stray dogs, cats, raccoons, and hawks. Hole in the Wall should have you feeling like a pro in no time.

Quote:
Lol Lisa glad I am in good company!! I am in parkland so closer to hole in the wall feed store in delray! What happens if one is a boy and ones a girl though? Does it matter? I understand the fort knox reference as my garbage has to be kept in one, thanks to raccoons and coyotes! If I take them and it doesn't work out, you can have more next week as well haha!

Quote:

Ok, I'll confess, the reason my husband is gun-shy......our patio had to be outfitted with 800$ of rip proof screen on the bottom after my first 10$ bunny got out! I have never had a critter come inside so I think they would be safe. Unless chickens are more of a draw than bunnies for raccoons? That would be BAD! an Easter massacre on the patio, don't think I would be forgiven!
Thinking they could be in the extra bunny hutch for now??

Oh no, haha - I can totally relate to the "love animals and it ends up costing you a fortune", scenario. I just had a flashback to the time I was helping out with some rescued horses, and one of them decided to chew on the front of my brand new SUV. I thought my husband was going to pop a blood vessel! Then there was the hamster that ate holes in his leather jacket...gee, no wonder my husband doesn't share my love of animals!

Yes, massacre is bad - been there, done that. With a little retrofit (like if the wire is too widely spaced) the rabbit hutch should be fine on your patio. I would cover the front with a towel at night, to make them less noticeable to a passing carnivore.

Quote:

Ok, I'll confess, the reason my husband is gun-shy......our patio had to be outfitted with 800$ of rip proof screen on the bottom after my first 10$ bunny got out! I have never had a critter come inside so I think they would be safe. Unless chickens are more of a draw than bunnies for raccoons? That would be BAD! an Easter massacre on the patio, don't think I would be forgiven!
Thinking they could be in the extra bunny hutch for now??

Hello....I just finished "brooding" some (3) chicks in a makeshift "brooder". There was an article on the internet about how to make a brooder by taping two regular size packing boxes together (it's super easy). I then made a "stand" out of PVC and hung a clamp light on it (I actually took off the clamp and hung the light about 8 inches over the box. I purchased a red lamp from the reptile department of my local Petsmart for warmth (although for a few days I had a low voltage white light...apparently the red bulb keeps pecking to a minimum). My chicks were in the box for about five weeks and about two weeks in, I put a dowel through the box sides for a "perch" and they learned to roost very quickly. The box went from my office, to the garage as they got big enough to hop out (and they do!...although if you leave some of the dowel hanging out of the outside of the box, they can get right back in...and they do!). It was THE most fun I've had bringing up babies. They are thriving now and outside in their own coop at about 12 weeks.
You should rescue them...you'll have TOO much fun!

We used a large plastic tub with a removeable roof of hardware cloth. I expect South Florida in August is warm enough for them. They'll have feathers by winter. You can use straw instead of pine shavings if it's easier for you. After the initial outlay, they are not very expensive to keep and they are pleasant to be around. Eventually they will need a coop and a yard or run. Some people keep theirs in chicken tractors. We converted an old wood store into a coop. It's not pretty, but it works. We were initially advised to give them at least seven square feet of outdoor space per chicken, but I know there are varying opinions about this. For the moment, though, rescue them, put them somewhere safe and feed them until you either decide to keep them or can give them away. May the flock be with you.

:cdWhere to keep them?

Didn't read all the responses, but I can tell you what I did for my two Americaunas. My backyard is probably smaller than yours and we're doing great. In fact, I'm hoping to find one more soon. I'm planning on expanding the coop and run anyway.

I converted a large doghouse into the coop and attached two large dog kennels (black wire kind, about three by six feet) together with duct tape. Then, I simply pushed the kennel up against the coop. I use wood shavings (anything but cedar or chemicals works, mine's Aspen) inside the coop. I've been using hay inside the run (the two kennels), but I'm going to try wood chips (get non-cedar and untreated with chemicals) this week to see if they're easier to clean. Hay works fine, but mats up. I rake it all out every other day. Not a big deal, but I'm hoping I can just spray the poo away from the chips. I also made a sort of tunnel with the two kennels' doors so they could dust-bathe on the bare ground. I let them Free Range over our small backyard whenever I clean their coop and run. The coop is their 'security object' so they don't run off when I let them out. They stick pretty close and all I need to do is casually herd them back in when I'm done.
smile.png

As for your husband, I suggest buying some fresh local homegrown eggs and bribing him.
big_smile.png

I should add that the doghouse and kennels were given to us for free. I've seen children's playhouses converted into chicken coops too. You can find these very cheap at yard sales.
wink.png

Update... You all convinced me, chicks coming at 2 pm tomorrow! Hoping feed store is open in the morning and that the hurricane headed this way doesn't hit! I will be needing lots of help, looks like you all have that covered!!! Thank you so much, be posting at 2:10
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom