Urgent - extreme foot swelling & no local vets available

I don't have experience with this, but if the foot is turning purple it would seem there is a circulation issue and I wonder if there would be any way to treat inflamation. But if it's due to an infection not sure that would make a difference. I see the open wound there so I wonder if that might have been the entry point for all this.

The mites sure won't help and so try to stay up on treating them. I wonder if she could be allergic to mites as well?
I’m thinking she is allergic to mites, especially if they’re on her face while she’s sleeping :/ she’s had similar face swelling before but she also had fowlpox while that was going on. The open sore you see happened last night from her foot swelling so much , her “scales” started to peel off and was oozing. Oozing is doing a lot better today but overall this whole foot is still bad.

Thanks for the info

It’s hard to say - the bumble foot treatment was done on Monday afternoon. The dressing I have made sure to lightly wrap and it’s more just holding on all the gauze right now so she has cushion on her foot. Her whole face is swollen including earlobes :( I ordered AMTYL for the moment
How is she doing?

How is she doing?
She’s the same - she did finally poop so that’s a good sign maybe 🤷‍♀️ First was super watery , second was more normal but still little watery but it didn’t smell nearly as bad. I just soaked her foot again and I put some iodine And colloidal silver all over the foot after I cleaned and dried it off.

She is eating and drinking when I hold the bowls up for her , and she is still chatty with me so that’s good I guess

I did give her some low dose aspirin jsir now for the first time to see if it helps her with pain and swelling 🙏🏻

Hey all, wanted to give an update on June.

Her facial/ear swelling is completely gone, she seems upbeat and more like her normal self. She is sleeping laying down now instead of standing. I assume these are all positive.

I started giving her the antibiotics last night , here is her foot today. Her other foot is completely fine and healing from the leg mites. I don’t see any more mites cramping around either so thags good.

I’m worried her foot is dying ? She had started pulling pin feathers from her feet (that did look extremely irritated) they bled a little but not much. Her foot smells not great. At this point I’ve been trying to keep it dry , I stopped the foot soaks about 2 days ago cause her feet were too wet. I’ve been cleaning with antiseptic spray and patting dry few times a day.

Any thoughts?? What do you do if a foot is dying? I feel so sad for her. I don’t know if I should have someone come and put her down or not 😔

Attachments

• 8D92466E-3D87-4EDB-A983-47470686BDF3.jpeg
    8D92466E-3D87-4EDB-A983-47470686BDF3.jpeg
    369.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 2D0B69D9-B0A4-4736-89B1-FC1A2D776A11.jpeg
    2D0B69D9-B0A4-4736-89B1-FC1A2D776A11.jpeg
    370.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 0CE0C01B-DF7A-48A7-A294-BE54E2DFEE04.jpeg
    0CE0C01B-DF7A-48A7-A294-BE54E2DFEE04.jpeg
    565 KB · Views: 6
  • 9AA03970-1DBC-4F02-8203-042385E41B18.jpeg
    9AA03970-1DBC-4F02-8203-042385E41B18.jpeg
    512.2 KB · Views: 6
Hey there ! This is my first post thoigh I’ve been scouring the site for about 3 years and also for this current issue

My hen is having what I think to be a life threatening infection/ swelling and there are no vets local to me that are taking chickens right now. My feed store does not sell any sort of antibiotics anymore because CA laws changed apparently. I am at a loss and feel helpless for my poor June.

She had what I assumed to be bumblefoot (some nodules between toes with black “plugs” underside her feet. My husband and I soaked her feet, we’re able to easily remove the “plugs” (solid black cores came out , skin looked good after it was out. Zero bleeding , very clean )

I packed with neosporin and bandaged up both her feet with some cotton pads and adhesive wrap.

She seemed to be doing fine for two days aside from annoyed with her bandages.

Today i took them off , cleaned them, they looked great ! No bleeding , swelling or anything

Now to backtrack a bit - she does seem to have scaly leg mite and my coop also has a cause of mites in general right now even though I clean it often and layer with DE and my girls free range from about 1pm-sunset

After I checked her bandages , applied some more neosporin etc , I went back outside a few hours later to find her struggling to walk up my hill, and her one foot was HUGE swollen. I mean scary. Her poor face has also had swelling. She had this last year (her face ) I think she is reallt sensitive to bug bites (mosquitoes are bad right now) and mites. I have 6 girls total and no one else is showing any of these signs and never have.

She is currently in a bathroom shower isolated and I keep doing epsom salt baths , neosporin , and gently wrapping the foot. It’s huge , hot, oozing.

Again , I’m at a loss because no one will see her and the Mobil vet has no appointments until October. I have found a website today lwhere I was able to order antibiotics - but they won’t Get here for 3-5 days.

Any suggestions or tips would be very appreciated. I am in San Diego county
It's really looks like Mycoplasma she will heal give her time don't put her down

I doubt that is mycoplasma synovitis, but I do think there are signs of tissue dying. It may not include the whole foot, but there may be parts. I would soak the foot once a day in warm water with some chlorhexidene or Betadine for disinfecting, and to promote healing. Apply plain antibiotic ointment to the foot after drying. Just as with frostbite, sometimes a chicken may lose part of a foot, toes, or all of the foot. It will self amputate in time. It may take weeks or a month to see where it happens. But I would try to prevent infection.

Back
Top Bottom