Quail with inflamed foot but no scabs // bumblefoot? please help

dukeofquail

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2024
i have two coturnix quail (hens) that are about 13 weeks old. one of them, chica, is a little smaller than the other, and so i've always kept an eye on her. her behavior is rather spastic compared to her companion, but she's been like that since they were chicks.
chica has a large swell on her right foot, and no superficial wounds in that area. she had a scab and a fair amount of swelling in January. i took the appropriate precautions and prepared to relieve her of bumblefoot, only to find no infection. no pus, no kernel-- just a big inflamed spot and a good bit of blood. that spot healed up and the swelling went down, only to return a week or so later. there's no superficial spots this time, just swelling on her palm and between her first two digits.
her eating and drinking has been normal, and i've been doing my best to check on her every day. the swelling has stayed pretty streamline since it started, but the bruising around the inflammation ranges from a rich purple to a reddish-purple.
i want to do whatever i can to help, but i, unfortunately, don't have a place to take her. what would be an appropriate action to take? is it just bumblefoot under the surface, or something more like a tumor? the inflammation feels like it may have a kernel, but i do not want to cut into her foot and make the situation worse. i'll include some pictures-- help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_8836.jpeg
    IMG_8836.jpeg
    358.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8837.jpeg
    IMG_8837.jpeg
    458.9 KB · Views: 6
chica has a large swell on her right foot, and no superficial wounds in that area. she had a scab and a fair amount of swelling in January. i took the appropriate precautions and prepared to relieve her of bumblefoot, only to find no infection. no pus, no kernel-- just a big inflamed spot and a good bit of blood. that spot healed up and the swelling went down, only to return a week or so later. there's no superficial spots this time, just swelling on her palm and between her first two digits.
I'm not clear on how the foot was initially treated. Do you have pictures from January?

What do you mean blood - where was the blood coming from?

Was the foot injured or pinched in a door or cage? Could she have hung it up somewhere?

How do you house your Quail, do you have photos of your setup?

I'd just soak the foot in a warm epsom salts bath once daily, see if the inflammation goes down. I wouldn't do anything else to it beside that - see if it heals in a week. IF it gets much worse, then let us know in this thread along with photos.

It's an odd pattern almost like a straight line.

1706934295094.jpeg

I'm not clear on how the foot was initially treated. Do you have pictures from January?

What do you mean blood - where was the blood coming from?

Was the foot injured or pinched in a door or cage? Could she have hung it up somewhere?

How do you house your Quail, do you have photos of your setup?

I'd just soak the foot in a warm epsom salts bath once daily, see if the inflammation goes down. I wouldn't do anything else to it beside that - see if it heals in a week. IF it gets much worse, then let us know in this thread along with photos.

It's an odd pattern almost like a straight line.

View attachment 3739413
thank you so much for the quick response!
i tried to look back and find some photos of the injury and inflammation but i was unable to find any. there was a calloused scab on the palm of her foot. it was a darker scab, and the amount of inflammation led me to believe it was bumble. i soaked her feet and pulled the scab off, attempting to squeeze out any puss or kernels, just to discover there weren't any present. the bleeding was from me squeezing the growth. i disinfected everything i used (and of course the wound itself) and kept an eye on her until the spot healed over completely.
the rabbit hutch i keep them in has the ramp removed (they never quite figured out the nesting box) and i let them out in a covered run in the grassy part of my yard several times a week. i don't believe her foot could have caught on anything, considering i make an effort to keep their home clean and safe for them.
the floor of their hutch is a flat metal sheet (odd, but that's how it came, and i haven't had the time to look into remodeling) and i keep a generous amount of wood shavings on top (along with a good bit of sand for grit) so they're not walking directly on that metal.
i will definitely start to soak her feet regularly and keep an eye on the inflammation. thank you again for responding!

Attachments

• IMG_7153.jpeg
    IMG_7153.jpeg
    515.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7401.jpeg
    IMG_7401.jpeg
    799.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7739.jpeg
    IMG_7739.jpeg
    559.6 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom