Bumblefoot prognosis

blondie55555

Chirping
Feb 14, 2023
Hello all, I have been treating my chicken’s foot for Bumblefoot. The first time I opened it, I didn’t find pus but did take out some yellow kernel. Opened it up 2x more to recheck it since she is still limping and holding up her leg sporadically, but looked pink with no pus. I have kept it wrapped and took these pictures today which is 3 days after the last surgery approx 2weeks from the onset. Is this swelling normal? The swelling is very soft and squishy. Wondering if it might be infection pus and if I should cut into the spots on top of foot? Or does this appear normal and I should be patient?
Thanks for your help. IMG_7596.jpeg IMG_7598.jpeg

I would not (personally) open the top up!

What else are you doing for her?
You said you are keeping it wrapped, which helps....to a point.
Extra coop cleanliness also is very helpful.
Epsom salt soaks 2x daily helps a ton.
I’d not go to once a day on the soaks as inflamed as that foot looks, I’d go w twice daily soaks, and spray w Vetricyn once her foot is mostly dry, apply triple antibiotic once the vetricyn is dry, and re wrap.
It’s a pain to go through all of those steps, but it’s the best way I’ve found to get my ducks back on two feet as quickly as possible...
And ducks are WAY more messy than chickens 😂 so your baby should bounce back pretty quickly 🤞🥰

Back
Top Bottom