Quail1241

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2024
Hello, my quail chick has a swollen foot, it doesn’t seem to be bumblefoot because it is swelling on the top of the foot rather the bottom. Could it possibly be a form of gout? This is my first time hatching and raising quail. I also have a chick with wry neck and I purchased the 80ml vitamin E with selenium gel (the one in the photo and another brand off Amazon coming in tomorrow). Any advice on how to use this gel? Is it food or do I apply it directly on its neck? Also if the foot needs a specific remedy id appreciate any links to them! Thank you 🙏

IMG_1330.jpeg
IMG_1331.jpeg
IMG_1332.jpeg
IMG_1335.jpeg

Welcome To BYC

The foot looks like it may have gotten caught in something. It may be broken, but hard to tell.

I don't see a photo of Vitamin E and Selenium gel, but it's not something I would use. Too low in E and likely way too high in Selenium.

I'd go to Walmart, CVS, etc. Pick up a bottle of Vitamin E gel caps, 400IU and 1 bottle of B-Complex.
Give your Quail chick 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a little bit of scrambled egg. The egg has plenty of Selenium to help with the uptake of E.

I did put a paper towel tape cast on his foot because it was curled originally. Attached a photo. That may have caused it but I do remember the leg was slightly bigger than the other when I first put the cast. In any case I do think the foot may be sprained. Going to get those vitamins ASAP! If it is a fracture, do you know how long it may take to heal? By the way here’s the photo I forgot to attach it. They say to use it according to the chicks weight? Though I don’t have a scale handy and your method seems more natural. Thank you!!!
IMG_1333.jpeg
IMG_1337.jpeg

Perhaps the tape on the foot was a bit tight.

A lot of things can be used off label for Fowl, but in this instance, it's best to leave the Goat/Sheep gel for Goats and Sheep. Use the individual vitamins as suggested.

Perhaps the tape on the foot was a bit tight.

A lot of things can be used off label for Fowl, but in this instance, it's best to leave the Goat/Sheep gel for Goats and Sheep. Use the individual vitamins as suggested.
Sounds good, so can I use the vitamins and boiled egg for both the quail with wry neck and the quail with the injured foot? By the way I noticed his swelling goes up his leg too. Any chance you can link a picture to the vitamin E gel caps? And do I just chop everything up and place it in the feeder? Thank you so much for the help!

Hello, my quail chick has a swollen foot, it doesn’t seem to be bumblefoot because it is swelling on the top of the foot rather the bottom. Could it possibly be a form of gout? This is my first time hatching and raising quail. I also have a chick with wry neck and I purchased the 80ml vitamin E with selenium gel (the one in the photo and another brand off Amazon coming in tomorrow). Any advice on how to use this gel? Is it food or do I apply it directly on its neck? Also if the foot needs a specific remedy id appreciate any links to them! Thank you 🙏

View attachment 3778294View attachment 3778295View attachment 3778296View attachment 3778300
Hello! I recently hatched out a batch of button quail, and one of my chick's feet looked exactly like this due to an accident (the incubator was knocked off the counter with her inside- miracle only her foot got banged up!) Anyway, I cleaned the affected area with betadine and provided b12 and chick electrolytes and after a week of hobbling around, she healed up nicely and is now a crowing 2month old! Best of luck :)

Hello! I recently hatched out a batch of button quail, and one of my chick's feet looked exactly like this due to an accident (the incubator was knocked off the counter with her inside- miracle only her foot got banged up!) Anyway, I cleaned the affected area with betadine and provided b12 and chick electrolytes and after a week of hobbling around, she healed up nicely and is now a crowing 2month old! Best of luck :)
Wow, must be rewarding raising it, thank you so much for the tip! I think I saw some electrolytes at TSC. I knew I should have bought some of those supplements on the rack when I had the chance (quite a long drive). But hopefully I can find them and some betadine online. I have a batch of over 100 eggs on day 3 of incubation so I’d like to keep some supplements, vitamins, and medicine on the side for emergency use. Any links or descriptions are greatly appreciated!

Wow, must be rewarding raising it, thank you so much for the tip! I think I saw some electrolytes at TSC. I knew I should have bought some of those supplements on the rack when I had the chance (quite a long drive). But hopefully I can find them and some betadine online. I have a batch of over 100 eggs on day 3 of incubation so I’d like to keep some supplements, vitamins, and medicine on the side for emergency use. Any links or descriptions are greatly appreciated!
We usually use Colloidal silver 250ppm or 500ppm for any sick animals. It's all natural and helps booster their immunity- we use it on ourselves as well lol. You can administer a drop or two directly at the tip of the chick's beak, or add it directly to their water for a couple days. It won't harm the others at all! You can order it from Walmart, Sprouts or even Amazon. It's been a lifesaver for us on multiple occasions for various pets :)
Screenshot_20240323-001519_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Thank you, gonna grab that along with the vitamins, so perhaps I will add it to the water along with vitamins and hard boiled egg. I also put a small amount of starter feed. Hope it works!

Back
Top Bottom