Wry neck or mareks? Something worse?

Is there a way you can take her outside during the day to get some sunshine?

How many days of Corid do you have left to give? Once you finish treatment, then get her back on the B Complex.
I actually keep her outside in a secure cage with shade coverage…basically a mini outdoor coop, on the opposite side of the yard from the rest of the flock, who I’ve also treated with Corid. Tomorrow will be day 3. Should I do a 5 or 7 day treatment for coccidiosis? She likes it better out there even with all the nature noises than she does inside. When I kept her inside she seemed to decline faster. So I’m that sense, she gets lots of sunshine all day. I’m terrified it’s mareks I have no idea how to tell if it is. Her eyes seem clear she’s just very lethargic.

I actually keep her outside in a secure cage with shade coverage…basically a mini outdoor coop, on the opposite side of the yard from the rest of the flock, who I’ve also treated with Corid. Tomorrow will be day 3. Should I do a 5 or 7 day treatment for coccidiosis? She likes it better out there even with all the nature noises than she does inside. When I kept her inside she seemed to decline faster. So I’m that sense, she gets lots of sunshine all day. I’m terrified it’s mareks I have no idea how to tell if it is. Her eyes seem clear she’s just very lethargic.
Man, your story is scary and I feel super bad for you going through this. Did she make out ok or has she declined further? How are the other chicks doing? I’d love to know what worked and what didn’t - I don’t have this problem YET, but seems like I keep getting the book thrown at me so I’m curious about all the possible things and the possible outcomes now! 😳

Man, your story is scary and I feel super bad for you going through this. Did she make out ok or has she declined further? How are the other chicks doing? I’d love to know what worked and what didn’t - I don’t have this problem YET, but seems like I keep getting the book thrown at me so I’m curious about all the possible things and the possible outcomes now! 😳
It was very scary and unfortunately, she has passed. She seemed to improve with selenium and vitamin e supps but had to discontinue vitamin b supps due to her also have coccidiosis. I believe whatever she had, caused her immune system to fail more allowing coccidiosis to take place. Her neck issues had improved but she was so frail and eventually could not stand. Part of me believes it was a vitamin deficiency part of me believes tumors/lesions if some sort or mareks. I did a necropsy and no visible to the eye mareks lesions were apparent but I did not open up her brain to have a look unfortunately that would have been too much for me. A necropsy pro in another group told me that she usually finds mareks microscopic tumors in the brain or spinal sciatic (I think that’s what she called it). So I still wouldn’t have been able to see with my naked eye. It could have been a number of issues that I could not afford to fix and she seemed like whatever was happening to her just took over. I have a one other weaker chick losing weight at the moment but I am running a course of endocox to treat the flock and see if that helps her gain soem weight. All poops seem normal to me so I’m not sure what could be happening with my seemingly healthy chick. Just being patient and waiting things out. All 7 other chicks in the flock are doing good and pray that they thrive into adulthood. They are currently heading into their fourth month

Good for you for trying “all the things” to do what you could to help her! Also for doing the necropsy yourself!! I’ve done the same thing on a calf that died because it’s just good to know. Takes some guts though, so good for you for loving them enough to want to know 💪

I’m going to guess these weren’t vaccinated for Mareks (I’m trying to decide whether to vaccinate mine or not but seems like good bio-security might be the best option there anyway). I’ve also had some chicks die after trying “all the things” and I feel like sometimes nature takes the ones that would struggle in life anyway.

Thank you for sharing your journey because it’s really helpful for someone like me to learn the things you tried! I really hope your other little one makes it - sometimes one dies so we can learn how to save the next 🙏🤞

Good for you for trying “all the things” to do what you could to help her! Also for doing the necropsy yourself!! I’ve done the same thing on a calf that died because it’s just good to know. Takes some guts though, so good for you for loving them enough to want to know 💪

I’m going to guess these weren’t vaccinated for Mareks (I’m trying to decide whether to vaccinate mine or not but seems like good bio-security might be the best option there anyway). I’ve also had some chicks die after trying “all the things” and I feel like sometimes nature takes the ones that would struggle in life anyway.

Thank you for sharing your journey because it’s really helpful for someone like me to learn the things you tried! I really hope your other little one makes it - sometimes one dies so we can learn how to save the next 🙏🤞
Thank you so much! I’m such a. Newbie at this we’ve only had them since baby chick stage so first time for everything and my kids and I were heartbroken about her. I definitely feel like I failed her but we took great care of them and are outside with them several hours a day as well. I just want to bring everyone’s vigor back. They were ALL vaccinated for mareks but the breeder let me know that weakened immune systems can allow many diseases to surface, even those vaccinated from things. If I’m not mistaken, the mareks they’re vaccinated with are a Turkey strain and not the chicken strain? Don’t quote me on that, I just thought I remember reading it seomwehre. And also, she was at the bottom of the pecking order. She was our only solid white chicken and the others were darker, larger in size, and just more stern than she was. She was a sweetie but a bit skittish and I think for good reason, not being a more dominant chick. Necropsy was way hard. Much smaaller than grocery store chickens we eat, but I felt like she was one of us. Now I’m like…I don’t now if I could ever raise meat chickens! If I did, I would have to hire someone to process them, or be very distant and “business” minded about the process. I prayed a lot over her before doing the necropsy and apologized to her. Sounds weird to do but it is a very spiritual thing when you have to do something like this. and I prayed for myself and my kids to not feel too sad for too long about her death. Also over the other chicks of course to not contract painful diseases, knowledge for us to be better chicken keepers etc. I salute our farmers who can manage to do this everyda, all for us to have food to eat. I have a totally new respect for the food chain keepers as they even have standards for what they can or cannot sell based on the health of animals they c care for. I have a small flock of now, 7 and I feel like I stress more about “are they alive today?” Lol we also had to rehome our very loving and awesome rooster to our flock because our hoa doesn’t allow Roos. So that week of losing two chickens was hard on my kids. Anyhow, I sure hope that you have a healthy flock! And that any losses that happen, are not your fault! I am praying for all the animals who cross over to the other side!

Back
Top Bottom