Urgent Frostbite Aftercare

Poodlemum

Crowing
Aug 26, 2021
Northern Utah
Dammit Kevin, why are you so stupid??? We were hit with some unexpectedly cold weather (-29°F NOT windchill) Sunday night. Everyone fine, even the bantam Polish who refuses to sleep in a coop. Last night was -14° in the coop and I checked everyone for frostbite, etc when I did morning rounds. No problems then, everyone moving well, etc. I check everyone multiple times a day so I can make sure feathered feet aren’t stuck, water is still flowing, feed plentiful. At my last check before an appointment, Kevin has somehow made it to the very rear of the yard. I go fetch him, toss him back to the path, and finish egg patrol. On my way out, he is not walking right. I grab him and his feet are fully frozen, very pale. Since I’ve already premeditated for my appointment, I figure a very slow warming inside will be a good first step since I am about to be totally xanaxed out 😅 After an hour or two in the bathroom, he’s fully recovered thank goodness. Now I need help deciding what to do tonight:

1. Keep him in the bathroom overnight, potentially making it harder for him to reacclimatise to these super low temps.

2. Put him back in the coop with his buddies

3. Put him in the main coop, which has the main roo that doesn’t deal with everyone’s bull crap

Can you place him somewhere in a pen or crate where it is above freezing but not warm as your house, such as a garage or basement? Pictures of the legs and feet might be helpful tomorrow or sometime.
Unfortunately not. Perhaps I can rig a laundry basket in our utility room though. I’m picking up a pack n play tomorrow that I was going to put in the washroom. I’ll try and grab pics ☺️ Thanks!

They are warm and flexible, but he’s not acting himself (most our roos aren’t handleable). Colour is basically normal minus the red 😭

7C0158F1-CF9B-4D25-9255-0163A1BB4A06.jpeg

Are there open places in the skin between the toes? Possibly blisters that have opened? Be sure not to massage or rub the feet and legs. It may take more time for damage to show up.

Are there open places in the skin between the toes? Possibly blisters that have opened? Be sure not to massage or rub the feet and legs. It may take more time for damage to show up.
They do appear to be burst blisters, slight bleeding from them. The backs of his feet are feeling like big blisters too (very swollen, but still normal colour and scaled)

Back
Top Bottom