URGENT: Hatching Emergency!

If you do decide to break the membrane have Qtips and cornstarch on hand to quickly stop any bleeding. If bleeding does occur stop as soon as is clots and leave the completly baby alone for about 2 hours. Play sounds of babies chirping. It might help motivate the bird. I had a similar problem when I hatched. Except he pipped upside down.

@Broodermy, @BaaKaaawk, @Tycine1, @SunriseChickers, @Lilalienangel
UPDATE: I just wanted to thank each and every one of you lovely people for helping me this morning. There’s still good in this world ;) Unfortunately, this little babe didn’t make it. It turned out that the bum was sitting at the air cell end. I attempted to make an opening through first membrane and even though I moistened prior, I believe it was attached to inner membrane. There was lots of bleeding and I tried my hardest to stop it with pressure and corn starch, which didn’t seem to stop it. So I slowly removed the shell in small pieces until I finally found the little beak, it was apparent that an internal pip was made in the small end. I began to slowly pull membrane away from the beak until I found the source of the bleeding, which was from a small amount of yolk still not absorbed and I believe it was the umbilical cord bleeding. I applied corn starch and at that point there wasn’t much life but I could feel a weak pulse. I ended up doing CPR and warming stimulation for an hour but little chick did not pull through. I sincerely appreciate all of the excellent advice and guidance given. It was all very thorough and helpful. Even the warm thoughts were helpful! ❤️
~Hayley

I am so very sorry for the loss of this chick, and this hatch. Please, do try again soon. It really does get easier as you keep trying.
You may already know this, but I'm going to say it anyway just in case, and while I'm thinking about it.
In your next hatch, store & and incubate eggs with their fat side up. If you're buying eggs to incubate, let them rest for 24 hours in this same position before placing them into your incubator. If your incubator is a laying down only type of incubator, that won't be possible, but you can still store them with their fat side up until they go into the incubator. An automatic egg turner is extremely helpful, but if you don't have one, you can place a pencil under one side of the incubator and move the pencil to the other side (under the incubator) every few hours; this will gently rock the eggs in the 'bator and help prevent the chicks sticking to the shell while they're incubating. Humidity could have played a part in the chick being stuck; different parts of the world have different ambient humidity and the incubating chicks typically require differing amounts of humidity to hatch with the least amount of effort, ask in the forum for humidity requirements for your area.
You did absolutely everything you could for the lil'squirt, so don't beat yourself up over this. You gave it one heckuva good try.
Again, my deepest sorrow for your loss.

I'm so sorry. Out of curiosity was it from a shipped egg? I had the same problem. I just lucked out because he made himself an airhole and the other chicks ended up helping him out. Hugz, I'm so sorry for your loss.
Thank you so much. No, we lost our beautiful Silkie Roo, Pearl, to a hawk a couple of weeks ago. So I attempted to hatch about 24 eggs to start and this little one was the sole survivor. I was so hopeful because it seemed to be doing well and made it this far. We’re heartbroken. But I tried my darn hardest to save this poor baby. I appreciate your thoughts and concern! ❤️

I am so very sorry for the loss of this chick, and this hatch. Please, do try again soon. It really does get easier as you keep trying.
You may already know this, but I'm going to say it anyway just in case, and while I'm thinking about it.
In your next hatch, store & and incubate eggs with their fat side up. If you're buying eggs to incubate, let them rest for 24 hours in this same position before placing them into your incubator. If your incubator is a laying down only type of incubator, that won't be possible, but you can still store them with their fat side up until they go into the incubator. An automatic egg turner is extremely helpful, but if you don't have one, you can place a pencil under one side of the incubator and move the pencil to the other side (under the incubator) every few hours; this will gently rock the eggs in the 'bator and help prevent the chicks sticking to the shell while they're incubating. Humidity could have played a part in the chick being stuck; different parts of the world have different ambient humidity and the incubating chicks typically require differing amounts of humidity to hatch with the least amount of effort, ask in the forum for humidity requirements for your area.
You did absolutely everything you could for the lil'squirt, so don't beat yourself up over this. You gave it one heckuva good try.
Again, my deepest sorrow for your loss.

Thank you so very much! Your advice and guidance was so very helpful and kind of you. That is brilliant about checking humidity requirements for my area- I wouldn’t have thought to do so... I had a rough start in the beginning when I set eggs to incubate in a homemade incubator only to quickly realize that regulation of temp/humidity was not going to be possible. So I rush ordered an auto-turning incubator but this was 1.5 weeks in. I truly believe this was the reason for so many early quitters but I was so hopeful in this last little chick. But I did my best and yes, this was definitely a learning experience! I’m sad to not have a piece of my beloved Roo still here but hopefully I will have the courage and knowledge needed to perhaps try again in Springtime. Again, I appreciate all of your help throughout! ❤️

@Broodermy, @BaaKaaawk, @Tycine1, @SunriseChickers, @Lilalienangel
UPDATE: I just wanted to thank each and every one of you lovely people for helping me this morning. There’s still good in this world ;) Unfortunately, this little babe didn’t make it. It turned out that the bum was sitting at the air cell end. I attempted to make an opening through first membrane and even though I moistened prior, I believe it was attached to inner membrane. There was lots of bleeding and I tried my hardest to stop it with pressure and corn starch, which didn’t seem to stop it. So I slowly removed the shell in small pieces until I finally found the little beak, it was apparent that an internal pip was made in the small end. I began to slowly pull membrane away from the beak until I found the source of the bleeding, which was from a small amount of yolk still not absorbed and I believe it was the umbilical cord bleeding. I applied corn starch and at that point there wasn’t much life but I could feel a weak pulse. I ended up doing CPR and warming stimulation for an hour but little chick did not pull through. I sincerely appreciate all of the excellent advice and guidance given. It was all very thorough and helpful. Even the warm thoughts were helpful! ❤️
~Hayley
I'm very sorry about your loss :(. If you ever need help just let us know we'd be happy to help you as much as possible in order to succeed. Never give up.

Back
Top Bottom