URGENT: Hatching Emergency!

HayHayComet

Chirping
Oct 13, 2019
Medway MA
Hello, I’m new to backyardchickens and new to hatching. I am currently panicking. I set eggs on 9/24. On Sunday evening, 10/13 with one surviving embryo; I set for lockdown. When candling, embryo was doing well and had beautiful healthy veins but appeared to be in the small side. Hatch date to be expected on 10/16, I gave a few more days since it appeared to maybe have a delay in development. I haven’t seen any rocking or heard any chirping so very early this morning I decided to candle and see if chuck was alive or dead. The egg appeared very dark, hard to make out any veins and the air cell grew huge and lopsided down the side of egg. Didn’t see any movement and it wasn’t looking good so I chipped away at air cell area, (which had a peck mark and cracks that were repaired with candle wax) and the air cell just crumbled apart and is now very wide open at this point. It revealed the outer membrane that appeared to be very dry and white, I dampened it and could see the inner membrane full with red veins and low and behold I can see movement. So I am sitting here panicking and believing that I have ruined the chance for my sole surviving egg. I have upped the humidity to about 80% and I applied a very light layer of coconut oil to outter membrane. I would appreciate any advice! I am so worried and upset.

Attachments

• 7DAF8307-A286-44F6-A784-16AE8D2D7B08.jpeg
    7DAF8307-A286-44F6-A784-16AE8D2D7B08.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 31
  • DB6FC577-1811-4EE3-A0B2-38F773D7BB73.jpeg
    DB6FC577-1811-4EE3-A0B2-38F773D7BB73.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 8D1F4E27-5FB2-491D-BC53-A2C6F01AC418.jpeg
    8D1F4E27-5FB2-491D-BC53-A2C6F01AC418.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 24
  • FD95E07F-5A1F-4315-9F84-3C3277F89919.jpeg
    FD95E07F-5A1F-4315-9F84-3C3277F89919.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 23
Hello, I’m new to backyardchickens and new to hatching. I am currently panicking. I set eggs on 9/24. On Sunday evening, 10/13 with one surviving embryo; I set for lockdown. When candling, embryo was doing well and had beautiful healthy veins but appeared to be in the small side. Hatch date to be expected on 10/16, I gave a few more days since it appeared to maybe have a delay in development. I haven’t seen any rocking or heard any chirping so very early this morning I decided to candle and see if chuck was alive or dead. The egg appeared very dark, hard to make out any veins and the air cell grew huge and lopsided down the side of egg. Didn’t see any movement and it wasn’t looking good so I chipped away at air cell area, (which had a peck mark and cracks that were repaired with candle wax) and the air cell just crumbled apart and is now very wide open at this point. It revealed the outer membrane that appeared to be very dry and white, I dampened it and could see the inner membrane full with red veins and low and behold I can see movement. So I am sitting here panicking and believing that I have ruined the chance for my sole surviving egg. I have upped the humidity to about 80% and I applied a very light layer of coconut oil to outter membrane. I would appreciate any advice! I am so worried and upset.

Ok so, is the chick still moving and energetic aka does he give jolt once in a while??. If so leave him like that and whatever you do don't open his backside. From my experience a chick can be out of the egg completely except his backside and still survive well. If its day 21 just leave him for a bit. If you see no progress try tearing the membrane on his head only and reveal his head, this wi give him oxygen and some energy, don't forget that the pipping action in chicks is done because of a high co2 concentration In the egg so you might want to remove the part of the membrane that's on his beak. Other than that keep the humidity at 75-80% dont go higher or else you risk drowning it. Other than that hope and pray. Good luck and please let us know!!

Ok so, is the chick still moving and energetic aka does he give jolt once in a while??. If so leave him like that and whatever you do don't open his backside. From my experience a chick can be out of the egg completely except his backside and still survive well. If its day 21 just leave him for a bit. If you see no progress try tearing the membrane on his head only and reveal his head, this wi give him oxygen and some energy, don't forget that the pipping action in chicks is done because of a high co2 concentration In the egg so you might want to remove the part of the membrane that's on his beak. Other than that keep the humidity at 75-80% dont go higher or else you risk drowning it. Other than that hope and pray. Good luck and please let us know!!

I can just see movement that is more like breathing, the membrane will expand a bit and retract. There is no internal pip and I can’t feel or see a beak. I honestly can’t make out what I am looking at.

If you can malke out its head. I'd punch a hole there. I've done that before. Usually it helps not the suffocate the chick. Usually its heady will be on eighter side of the air sack. Don't worry about blood..if it keeps pumping out (it wont usually) try to stop it with a tissue. At this point it seems like a try or dont try and fail situation. I hope it goes well for you

If you can malke out its head. I'd punch a hole there. I've done that before. Usually it helps not the suffocate the chick. Usually its heady will be on eighter side of the air sack. Don't worry about blood..if it keeps pumping out (it wont usually) try to stop it with a tissue. At this point it seems like a try or dont try and fail situation. I hope it goes well for you

Thank you so much for your help. I will try and feel for the beak. I’m worried it may be malpositioned. I can only see a dark blob, no legs, eye or beak. But I will try!

I can't really make out what I'm seeing in the picks either unfortunately. If its malpositioned first thing is to try to get out the head because sometimes a malpositioned chick can mean that his head is twisted so his trachea is being narrowed drastically but v imp!!!! Don't forget to leave his backside in there and try to leave him kick out on his own. Good luck!! Please let us know!!

I usually puncture the outer membrane but if you are seeing too much veining maybe you should leave him a little longer. If you do puncture the membrane dont worry too much about the blood. As you feel do. Gl
I think I’m going to wait just a bit. I’m not confident to open the membrane with all the veins I can see. Is there a point that is obvious when to intervene further?

I think I’m going to wait just a bit. I’m not confident to open the membrane with all the veins I can see. Is there a point that is obvious when to intervene further?
You should always do what you feel is best. I think it becomes obvious to intervene when the chick stops kicking a lot and starts breathing heavily. And the veins fade out a little. That's usually the last straw for me. I hope all goes well.

Back
Top Bottom