URGENT HELP! Are my chickens going to die or do they have PTSD

akanalynnn

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
Portland OR/ Vancouver WA
took my baby to her first dr appt today, and came home to discover my previously harmless 15lb italian greyhound had done in the littlest of my chickens... Didn't eat her, just wanted her to squeak like his fuzzy toys do, I imagine. I had no idea he had it in him.

The two other girls however... One is fine, she ran back to the coop.. The other was in the corner of the yard, hunkered down. She's normally a little wary, but she let me walk right up and pick her up to examine her... She's missing a tuft of feathers on the back of her neck, deep in her plumage, but there is no blood. She can walk/stand, but is just sitting. She won't do anything, and her mouth is open. It's almost a hundred today and it's been quite cool up until now, so I have moved the two remaining girls inside to a large kennel with food and water because it's cooler inside.

My questions

Is it going to stress the girls out even more to change their environment by moving inside?

Even though there's no blood, is it possible she has internal damage of some sort?

the One girl seems very stressed, should I use an eye dropper or something to make her drink water? She's gotta be thirsty.

I'd do my best to keep her cool - fan, cold water, frozen watermelon or grapes. It definitely sounds like she's in shock. Maybe pedialyte for the electrolytes.

I think it's good you took her inside where it's cooler (presumably - I know how few people out here was a/c). Cover her cage and keep it dark, cool and quiet.

Last edited:
I am so sorry this happened to your girls
sad.png
My dog just chased one of my girls and cornered her between the fence and the shed as well so I know how it feels (kinda, I didn't lose anyone). It was a very tight fit and I had to work hard to get her out of there but she is up and running around again already.
We have been very careful to make sure the dog doesn't get into the back yard alone while we have the girls out. What surprises me the most is that she didn't fly up to the top of the shed because I know she can. Anyhow I hope your girl survives this and will be fine. Can you bring her in for the day to help her recover?

I sure hope she's feeling better by now! If she isn't, my advice is to make very sure she doesn't have a more serious wound than you think - something you may have missed seeing when you first examined her. My neighbor's dog chased down one of my Speckeled Sussex hens a few days ago. She disappeared overnight, but turned up the next day. We looked her over and thought she was just missing feathers in a couple spots, but she continued to do poorly. To make a long story short, turns out she had a very bad bite wound way up under her feathers in her tail/back area which we never saw until it was terribly infected. At that point she was beyond help. We had taken her to the vet to see if there was anything that could/should be done, but they agreed that euthanasia was the appropriate thing to do at that point. So sad. We felt terrible for not finding that wound and treating it right off the bat.

Back
Top Bottom