haychick23

Hatching
Sep 23, 2023
I’m at a loss as to what is wrong with my chicken. I thought Mereks but a lot of people are saying it’s not.
My chickie (Boots, hatched july 4, a silkie cochin mix) Was let out of the coop Tuesday morning and was just laying by herself, i noticed she could barely walk so i took her inside. for about 2 days she was able to move and adjust her legs, on day 3 she could barely walk but just enough to hop over and peck her sibling lol. (I had brought one of the other chicks inside so they could see each other) She’s been barely eating or drinking today. She’s been experiencing some open mouth breathing almost like gasping it looks like but it’s not gasping and she’s not wheezing. She had a lot of lice on her that i’ve been treating. She for some reason had a lot compared to other chicks.
I feel like she’s been stepped on but im not so sure. Some say a vitamin deficiency so i’ve been giving her 3 CC of poultry cell. please help
F9E43514-88E9-4A5F-8945-1C8A5197887B.jpeg

Attachments

• 0283B97A-3A84-49B2-B6CA-5D3F205E1BD5.jpeg
    0283B97A-3A84-49B2-B6CA-5D3F205E1BD5.jpeg
    337.5 KB · Views: 5
  • BC0B1BC5-FCEB-4E6A-957B-CF3FC53A5245.jpeg
    BC0B1BC5-FCEB-4E6A-957B-CF3FC53A5245.jpeg
    379.3 KB · Views: 5
Welcome to BYC. What do her poops look like? If her poops are runny, I would consider treating her for possible coccidiosis, since she is still young enough to get that. Symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, weakness, no appetite, and acting puffed up or hunched over. Corid (amprollium) in the cattle medicines at feed stores is the treatment. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Divide that by 4 if using a quart waterer. Change it daily, raise it so poop doesn’t get kicked into it, and keep bedding dry and clean. Stop Poultry Cell or any other vitamins during Corid treatment. You are using too much of that anyway. The dosage is 1 ml daily for every 3 pounds of weight. I would try to get her drinking well. It can be sprinkled on her food too.

Welcome to BYC. What do her poops look like? If her poops are runny, I would consider treating her for possible coccidiosis, since she is still young enough to get that. Symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, weakness, no appetite, and acting puffed up or hunched over. Corid (amprollium) in the cattle medicines at feed stores is the treatment. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Divide that by 4 if using a quart waterer. Change it daily, raise it so poop doesn’t get kicked into it, and keep bedding dry and clean. Stop Poultry Cell or any other vitamins during Corid treatment. You are using too much of that anyway. The dosage is 1 ml daily for every 3 pounds of weight. I would try to get her drinking well. It can be sprinkled on her food too.Tj to the welcome!
Welcome to BYC. What do her poops look like? If her poops are runny, I would consider treating her for possible coccidiosis, since she is still young enough to get that. Symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, weakness, no appetite, and acting puffed up or hunched over. Corid (amprollium) in the cattle medicines at feed stores is the treatment. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Divide that by 4 if using a quart waterer. Change it daily, raise it so poop doesn’t get kicked into it, and keep bedding dry and clean. Stop Poultry Cell or any other vitamins during Corid treatment. You are using too much of that anyway. The dosage is 1 ml daily for every 3 pounds of weight. I would try to get her drinking well. It can be sprinkled on her food too.
her poops are not runny, they look pretty healthy in my opinion.
she’s still barely eating or drinking.
Could lice cause her to have paralysis ?

Lice do not cause paralysis. Are you certain they are lice and not mites? Mites can make them anemic. What are you treating her lice with? Mareks is a possibility, along with weakness from an illness, or an injury. Are there any marks or green bruising on her legs? If you should lose her, the best way to get a diagnosis is to have your state vet lab perform a necropsy. Here is a list of most state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Back
Top Bottom