URGENT!!! HELP!! Baby chicks is Gasping as though it can't breathe!?

FrostyWind

Songster
Jun 12, 2016
Please Help!
One of my silkie Chick is Gasping stretching out it's neck and it's eyes are closed!
I dontd knso what to do! It was fine just a half hour ago and when I came to check on it, it was Gasping, stretching it's neck out, closed eyes and Shaking it's head real hard, throwing itself around!
Immediate response!

What were you feeding?
What temperature?
Do you have any others?
I feed them Starter chick food (that feed that looks like Grain Mash)
I don't have them under any warm light, they stay in a box where it's cozy, well at least I think it's cozy cause I dont see them shivering in the night, they sit and sleep normal like all the baby chicks I have ever hand reared and are adults now.
Yea I have photos of them

Attachments

• IMG_20190412_125301.jpg
    IMG_20190412_125301.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20190413_145322.jpg
    IMG_20190413_145322.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 8
Sounds like he was definitely choking- I’m so sorry!:hugs
Check around wherever you’re keeping them to make sure there’s nothing he was eating- you can look down his beak; if it was something like a candy wrapper you might be able to see it. It might have just been a piece of food but if it wasn’t you don’t want another chicken to find it and meet the same end. I’m so sorry <3

Week old chicks need 85-90 degrees of heat with a cooler spot to escape to in their brooders. Check the chicks for signs of pasty butt, and make sure they are all drinking and eating well. If any seem lethargic or droopy, then give some electrolytes or a little sugar in the water. Sorry for your loss.

If it was choking, what was I supposed to do?
My brother massaging it's neck, feeling for clumps or something unusual, but found nothing, we looked in his mouth, nothing was there.
I want to prevent this next time, what are the options in case a chick isn't choking?

Back
Top Bottom