Urgent help! My rooster is tipping over!

Sorry about your sick rooster. He is very cute—kind of looks like a black copper marans mixed with silkie, LOL. Was ne vaccinated for Mareks disease? It may take time to figure out if this is vitamin (riboflavin or B2) deficiency, an injury, or possibly Mareks disease. It will be important for him to be in a small dog crate or pen near his food and water. I would be tempted to take him with me, since he can starve or become dehydrated over several days. A chicken sling or chair may be helpful to make for him, to get him upright, to keeep him clean and out of his droppings, and to be sitting in front of his food and water. His feet should slightly touch the floor, and he needs to get out of the sling for rest periods. Here is some reading about Mareks, and some good examples of homemade chicken slings:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
He’s so cute and I love him most of all in my flock. He’s he sweetest.
He wasn’t vaccinated because I hatched him from a rooster I had (who I loved as well and he was killed by a fox) and my EE hen. Both parents were vaccinated and I read that I wouldn’t have to worry about new hatchlings that came from vaccinated parents. May have been an ammature move on my part :-(
I absolutely want to take him with me, my husband on the other part said no way. Which is heart breaking because I need this little guy to make it. I’m just at a loss. I have him in my hatchling coop right now... but it isn’t winterized and I would hate for him to be cold on his own... if I was going to be home it would be so different.

Can you borrow or get a dog crate, so that you can leave him in the regular coop with the others? If you are going to a relative’s house by car, perhaps he could stay in a garage or basement in his crate where you could check on him. He might be the star of the party if the people do not have chickens.

Is it mites that could cause this?????

Attachments

• 42A8EB6B-CCC5-414A-98E1-F5204E3CD9CA.jpeg
    42A8EB6B-CCC5-414A-98E1-F5204E3CD9CA.jpeg
    301 KB · Views: 14
Can you borrow or get a dog crate, so that you can leave him in the regular coop with the others? If you are going to a relative’s house by car, perhaps he could stay in a garage or basement in his crate where you could check on him. He might be the star of the party if the people do not have chickens.
I love this idea... husband says no way is that happening

Wrap him in a package with a bow? I would get your neighbor familiar with keeping him close to his food and water. Maybe the neighbor could take him home?
She came over today to see him and check out how he was and where all his medicine is in case he doesn’t get better after tonight. I think she will be ok with him. I just seriously might baby them a little too much lol!

Thank you everyone, I placed him back in the coop this evening to sleep with everyone because I treated the entire flock and he got Extra protein and vitamins. Hoping he will wake up feeling stronger in the AM. He looked a little better before I but him to bed :)

Attachments

• 51A43AA2-8636-4CE5-9BCD-29C9F959122C.jpeg
    51A43AA2-8636-4CE5-9BCD-29C9F959122C.jpeg
    260.1 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom