URGENT HELP NEEDED!!

Oppe Family

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 13, 2012
Sedro-Woolley, WA
We are dealing with mg in our little flock and we are trying to find local antibiotics and are having no luck finding Tylan 50 or Eurthromyacin with are recommended to use. We have look all over Western Washington. What we are finding locally is Duramyacin, Tetracycline, Oxytetracycline and Lincomyacin can any of these be used for mg??? We will order the other if we have to but since this is Memorial day weekend it will take longer to get. We would really like to start treatment NOW. Please we really need to know!!!

Thank you for your help!!

What does Mg Stand for?
My mother is a vet tech so if I know what to tell her she may be able to help you?

MG = Mycoplasmosis Gallisepticum

Just so you know, if you don't already, Mycoplasmosis can't be permanently cured, only the symptoms alleviated. Want to be sure you realize that.

Why are you sure that's what it is and not a virus?

Last edited:
MG = Mycoplasmosis Gallisepticum

Just so you know, if you don't already, Mycoplasmosis can't be permanently cured, only the symptoms alleviated. Want to be sure you realize that.

Why are you sure that's what it is and not a virus?
Eee...Yeah my mom just said what speckledhen said when I told her. She said that the best thing to do if they do in fact have that, is to cull.
I know thats not what you wanted to hear by any means, and I really hope its something else thats curable...

They are coughing, have mucus coming from their beaks and are sneezing plus I have one that has drainage coming out of both eyes and when I got in the coop to check on them yesterday her eyes where shut cause the stuff had dried. We don't want to cull we cant replace them that easy. Plus our boys love them!

Could be MG/CRD, though other things can have similar symptoms. Just know that if you keep them, they will remain carriers, if that's what it is, and will infect other birds you get in the future. MG can even be passed down through the egg to future chicks.

Very sorry you are dealing with this it is heart breaking. If you choose a closed flock you can start them on the Duramycin and get the Tylan ordered then switch to the Tylan if they're still showing symptoms. If you can find a place to have them tested it's best to know what your dealing with. Here's a debate you may want to read if it is MG
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...rgling-rales-when-breathing-no-other-symptoms

How sad for you. Please be sure to isolate your flock until you are sure what is infecting them. You will also need to disinfect their housing before bringing in any more chickens. YOu can find those instructions on this site somewhere. It is fairly involved.

They are coughing, have mucus coming from their beaks and are sneezing plus I have one that has drainage coming out of both eyes and when I got in the coop to check on them yesterday her eyes where shut cause the stuff had dried. We don't want to cull we cant replace them that easy. Plus our boys love them!

Well like I said before I hope its something other then MG :(
No one said that its easy, trust me its not, and I really hope I did not offend you. But there comes a time when you have to think of whats more humane for the animal, sometimes you can save them and its great!! And everyone here hopes you can do it. But then in other cases...
I could never personally let them go threw it, which is why I say again I really hope its not the MG.
But from what im reading they have a vacination for it? So in the future you could look into that to prevent it from happening again?
Again, best of luck to you. Ill have my fingers crossed that's its not the MG!!

Back
Top Bottom