URGENT! Huge Cut, need HELP NOW! *PICS added

Quote:
Thank you!! She really is sooo pretty, the pic does not do her full justice, she has a little smile and the cutest little feathers on her ears. Her name is Cuddle Muffin, and she really is! That is her in my avatar, she used to fly up onto my shoulder when ever I went by. This must be how it feels when someone says something nice about a child!
tongue.png

anyway thanks for the well wishes and the hug!!!

Wow! Hope she has a speedy recovery. She is a beautiful hen. Job well done!
smile.png

I had a rooster peck a hole into the head of a female polish. I could not stitch the hole closed. I just didn't know what to do. Finally during one inspection I thought why not tie her feathers into a pony tail and that did the trick! Within a week it was healed.

If ever I need someone who can stitch I'm calling you!

Quote:
Thank you!! She really is sooo pretty, the pic does not do her full justice, she has a little smile and the cutest little feathers on her ears. Her name is Cuddle Muffin, and she really is! That is her in my avatar, she used to fly up onto my shoulder when ever I went by. This must be how it feels when someone says something nice about a child!
tongue.png

anyway thanks for the well wishes and the hug!!!

Well honestly, it's always the favored one that gets in trouble somehow it seems. /sigh But hopefully she'll be doing better.

Looking for today's update.
big_smile.png

New Skin liquid bandage?

It's what I used when my umbrella cockatoo tore my goffin cockatoo's foot down to the tendon and bone. You've probably already fixed your hen up, but in the future? Even for a smaller cut, it works better than bandages. Yes, it stings going on, but it glues the skin together.

Threehorses, thank you again for your excellent advice and support! You really helped this whole experience go without a hitch, I really appreciate your input and availability! Thank you!!
thumbsup.gif

So far so good! I don't think she understands why she has to stay inside, she hasn't once acted like anything was wrong or hurt her!
She loves the treats and the scrambled egg though! I think this hen has some eating issues, always crazy for food and might be getting a little chunky. Can you put a chicken on a diet?

Today everything looked good, no strange swelling or bad discoloration.

When I checked this morning I could easily open the space at the bottom of stitches and hope it is enough of a drain. I am a little worried there is not a good drain. But again, no noticeable swelling or fluid build up.

I made individual stitches, knotted and cut each one. Can you pull them too tight? Hope I did not make them too tight....

I think she can join her sisters tomorrow, i will have eagle eyes for flys and sharp objects in the yard.
BTW I think she may have cut herself on a piece of metal banding from the pack of shingles we used on the new coop... It was in the yard and sharp!

I love BYC thank you chicken friends!

I wouldn't put her with her sisters til the stitches are out. They *will* eat them. But if you can put her in an adjacent pen, that would be ideal. Sounds like you did a good job. The stitches would be too tight if there were inflammation - but usually by the second/third day you'll see the inflammation if there is any. (For our turkey, the only one I've seen appreciable inflammation, it was day 3.)

Sounds really good! I bet you're right about the metal banding.

YAY again for the good report! Thank you for the update.

Back
Top Bottom