URGENT! Huge Cut, need HELP NOW! *PICS added

Quote:
When you say there's an air sac in there, does it look like it's punctured, or normal? There is an air sac near there. If it was punctured and is leaking into the surrounding area, and you don't know if it's the surrounding area or the airsac itself, I wouldn't do anything to deflate it. Leakage like that will blow up like a balloon and eventually shrink again. (This happened when we had my turkey's wing amputated - I didn't believe it would, but it did - it deflated to normal again...I had seven dog-mauled geese to try to patch up, so a vet wasn't really applicable).

Sometimes if a bone is broken or nicked, it will leak air into the surrounding area, too - so is she putting her weight on the leg?

And I'm not sure that I would stitch it, personally. The benefit is that it likely was not an animal bite wound so stitching is more safe. Do you have any experience stitching? The downside is that stitching in that sort of area is tough as you'd have to both stitch the muscles back together and then also stitch the skin back together separately. There are many gashes and just flat-out missing chunks of muscle and flesh that can healthfully granulate back in, while sometimes closing up wounds (and creating pockets inside them) can be problematic.

It depends on your experience in this sort of thing.

And yes - you can use the neosporin inside the wound. When I had punctures on a bird, I pack them with neosporin after the "sterilizing' rinse with iodine/water (thinned as we talked about before). When I'd had to stitch, I packed the inside of the area with a lot of neosporin. (In my case, it was a flap of skin that was peeled off of the entire front of a goose's neck - like a hanging dog's tongue. I used Neosporin under the flap and on top of the underlying muscles.)

The body heat melts the medicine into the wound. IF you stitch, you must leave the lowest area missing a stitch so that it can drain (since we dont' really have drain material available like surgigal tubing to stitch in). You can also stick a syringe (without the needle) up into that area to flush the wound with iodine/water solution to clean out the seeping drainage if that's needed. But I'm not sure it would be.

If you do decide to stitch it, it should be done today. Nearly-sterilize some cuticle scissors (clean well with soap and hot water, then with iodine and soap, rinse with alcohol) and remove any little ragged bits of skin that might interfere with the stitching.

And yes - put that much in under the skin. Neaten it with papertowels. Just make it a layer - it doesn't have to be gobs of it.

Last edited:
Yes I think there may be a natural air sac there, some of the thin clear tissue viscera has some bubbles in it.

No muscle is cut. Only skin is cut, exposing the leg to body joint and making it awkward to pull back together over that gap. With that info is it better to stitch.

I have stitched once and read/ learned how to do it better so I think I will be OK.

Hope these pictures help! Thank you so much!!

18800_cm_cut1.jpg

Quote:
Well in this case, I think that it might be a good idea because even if you don't stitch it - there's going to be an air pocket in there, and maybe this can protect any air sacs (abdominal air sac) under there. Then just leave a tiny area where air can get out, where it can drain, where you can monitor the smell, etc. Use individual stitches on the skin, not a running stitch. It's tricky. It uses more suture than you'd think is needed.

But at least that's a small hole.

Looks good and clean!

Quote:
Well in this case, I think that it might be a good idea because even if you don't stitch it - there's going to be an air pocket in there, and maybe this can protect any air sacs (abdominal air sac) under there. Then just leave a tiny area where air can get out, where it can drain, where you can monitor the smell, etc. Use individual stitches on the skin, not a running stitch. It's tricky. It uses more suture than you'd think is needed.

But at least that's a small hole.

Looks good and clean!

Thank you for your help!!

I will do individual stitches. Do I just make a square knot? I have three pieces of sutures, about 18 to 27 inches each.

Also, the left edge has feathers growing at the edge of the skin, How careful do I have to be about not closing feather roots in wound?

Definitely trim the feathers back away first. Then stitch. You don't want them near that area. Pack the wound full with the neosporin ointment. Don't get it on the outside (yet) because it makes the edges of the wound very slippery. If you had hemostats, it would help to hold the needle which does get slick from going in and out of the treated skin. Definitely treat the outside of the suture with neosporin after stitching.

Yeah, I just used a regular double knot.

I did it!! Successful stitching, thanks to your wonderful help (and DBF)!
She actually only needed about 6 stitches to pull the skin closed, but yes, she definitely needed them.

I left about a 3/8" from the last suture to the end of the cut, I hope that is enough to drain.
I think there still might have been some iodine wash water left in there, I hope that is OK.

My DBF took some "after" pics but without the memory card!

I know this is no time to laugh, but before surgery, while she was resting in the kitchen, look at the spot she chose to roost!! Oh the irony!

18800_cm_stove.jpg

Back
Top Bottom