Urgent - is this coccidiosis or dehydration/malnutrition in chicks?

Froh

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 18, 2016
Hello,
I have a batch of 1 month old chicks, 12 white sultans and 4 silkies. They are living in a caged shelf compartment inside the main coop of our chickens in warm California weather. There is almost no light source inside besides the door leading into it, so they are provided night lights when it gets dark.
Just now we found 1 dead and one laying on its side, both with their butts covered in diarrhea that has a slight red tint in some blotches. All of the white sultan chicks felt lighter than they should be and had empty crops that only felt slightly squishy. They were also squinting, some puffed up, and just stood around quietly (they are usually really skittish). They also acted more slow and clumsy, and stumbled a bit weakly when I tried to move them around.
I had not been the one taking care of them, so I don't know of their past behavior prior to this, but I immediately brought them some nutridrench and electrolyte mix water to drink, and some of them seemed extremely thirsty. While drinking, one of them had a cecal type poop except it was mixed with some white and red tints, the consistency was entirely pudding like with no chunks or solids. The texture and color of the poop matched the stains on the dead and extremely lethargic chicks. The lethargic one cannot stand or sit upright on its own and leans over into its side constantly with eyes closed, but after drinking the boost for a bit was able to keep her eyes open a little longer, but is otherwise still weak, does not eat, and just falls over to lay on its side.

I am trying to determine if this was caused by coccidiosis (I am not aware of any infected chickens), or the fact that they did not eat/drink because they could not see in there. We had raised more than 50 chicks with no issues in the same brooder compartment with the same nightlighths provided.
Right before I noticed their behavior and blood tinted diarrhea (cecal?), we transferred 47 almost 2 week old chicks into the same brooder, so I am extremely worried that they'd need to be evacuated asap if it does end up being coccidiosis.
Here are a few pictures for reference:
The bloody poop by one of the thirsty chicks
CFD06DF7-AA62-4064-8081-5F475F2FE24A.jpeg
The chicks relocated to a brighter coop, huddling in the corner of the floor and drinking:
8E6DCDA5-E527-4EEA-82FB-B5123CAC2868.jpeg
A few chicks are eager to eat from my hand, while the others don't react much and just huddle still in the back (not sure if sickness or sleepy because it's dusk):
D5F95515-39A2-4BED-BBEF-136D884BB5A5.jpeg
Some additional poops that have red tints NOT made by them, found inside the coop they were relocated to:
65754EB8-0FF2-4B5D-83C9-A14E033E7066.jpeg B105FF68-19E0-4BAC-BAE1-626EB813BFE4.jpeg
Sorry for the nasty pictures, I would just like to find the root of the problem and save the lethargic chick if possible, as well as keeping the 47 babies safe and healthy.
Any suggestions on what may be the cause, how I can help the lethargic chick, if I should order coccidiosis medicine now and if that would still save them in time, is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
I would definitely be treating with Corid ASAP. Do you have a farm store near you? Most of them have Corid in stock - everything from the big gallon bottle all the way down to packets of the powder version. If that's not an option for you, do you have an Amazon prime membership? You may be able to order it and get it pretty quick- whatever is the FASTEST - the sooner you start treating all the chicks the better- because coccidiosis will take them down so, so fast, even ones that haven't shown (m)any symptoms.

As for the root of the problem - can you set things up so they can have an outside part to their enclousre in a safe environment during the day? i.e. fencing with a top to keep predators out (I use netting) and the fencing closed in with hardware cloth to keep anything from reaching in and making a snack of them ... it also keeps the chicks contained -- keeping them from escaping and getting invited to lunch. Being in sunlight helps dry feces and having an inside/outside "run" makes for good air movement -- it looks like they're plenty feathered now to deal with the weather.

Being in a dark, warm spot is really and truly a combination that will accelerate coccidiosis. At the very least I would add in some bedding. My personal favorite is the pine pellet variety because it helps dry poop immediately and degrades into great dust bathing material, easy to compost because the pieces are so small, unlike pine shavings (no cedar!!!). With the pine pellets, having the waterer up off the ground is very important- because if the chicks can kick pellets into the water right off the ground- they will do their job and soak up water.

The other thing I would be doing as soon as possible no matter what is getting a covered water container and getting it up off the floor to minimize contamination. I know they're chicks and they'll poop all over everything - but those are some immediate things to do that will help in short order. Treating with Corid as soon as possible is what will save them - altering their environment is what will keep them healthy going forward.

Treating for cocci would be a good idea, but what are you feeding them? They may be getting imbalanced diet. Do they all seem eager to eat the feed they are getting or are they disinterested?

It looks and sounds like they aren't eating and maybe an alternative feed may help if the anti cocci medicine doesn't. Chicks need a higher protein feed than older birds.

Thanks for all the replies, they have been on standard non-medicated chick starter, so they weren't getting any grit. Before they were moved into the coop they have been just fine eating. They usually have a standard water feeder and open bowls of feed, and the splattered corn pieces on the ground are adult feed spilled by the other chickens living there. Right now we have 3 coops with runs all with adult chickens and fences with too big of a gap they could run through, so letting them run free isn't exactly a safe option.. I will be trying to get corid asap, but since they are living with others now would it be safe for the non infected ones to drink it too? And should the adult chickens in other coops take it as well if they aren't showing the symptoms?

Last edited:
I just ordered the powder version of corid on amazon and it should deliver tomorrow. In the mean time is there anything I can give to or do for the chicks to help them feel better? The sick 1 month old chicks have access to open air now, wondering if there is more that I can do for them.

Another question: Should we evacuate the 47 two week old chicks back indoors to their old brooder, or will they be fine staying there with some treatments added to their water? They are currently staying at where the sick chicks stayed at, I have layered some pine bedding in there that we have on hand.

Last edited:
I just ordered the powder version of corid on amazon and it should deliver tomorrow. In the mean time is there anything I can give to or do for the chicks to help them feel better? The sick 1 month old chicks have access to open air now, wondering if there is more that I can do for them.

Another question: Should we evacuate the 47 two week old chicks back indoors to their old brooder, or will they be fine staying there with some treatments added to their water? They are currently staying at where the sick chicks stayed at, I have layered some pine bedding in there that we have on hand.

OK the powder version dose is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. It needs to be mixed up fresh every day (24hrs) at minimum. Definitely treat EVERYONE- make sure all their water sources have the Corid powder mixed in. Give them the Corid water for 5 days. Be sure to mark on the calendar when you start because in 2 weeks you'll treat them again for 3 days.

AFTER the SECOND treatment, give them a couple of days with Nutridrench or some other Vitamin B1 supplement. But only after that 2nd treatment.

Here's a good site with a summary about coccidiosis that has the same info regarding doses etc:

https://the-chicken-chick.com/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken/

Back
Top Bottom