URgent Muscovy with swollen face!

Pics

DogIsMyShepherd

Songster
Jul 12, 2019
Canada
Please help. This morning I went to feed my ducks and chickens and found my duck Hopes face was swollen both sides, however worse on the left side. About a month ago I had posted about her she had a sore leg thought it was bumble foot but couldn’t find any injuries. Then figured she had injured it. Started giving her vitamins in her water daily and she had been doing much better. Her limp was almost totally gone. And she was seeming to be more active. Just fed them last night and she was fine. Now this morning her face is swollen. What can I do. I really don’t have access to a vet. I do have a few feeds stores near mean may be able to get something there.

27C3A227-0800-44F3-9F76-DFF5CDE58DDC.jpeg
BD36041B-408D-420E-B3AC-41931C8EE351.jpeg

Homeopathic remedy from book "The Poultry Doctor" Boericke and Tafel 1891. You can down load the entire book for free here https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/59212#page/7/mode/1up if link does not work try google search.
pg 62-64 Swollen head preferred remedy is Belladona, or Spongia , Bryonia. You can get remedies at some Health food stores and online. Be prepared for nay sayers. This is my opinion. For about ten bucks you might be able to save your poultry's life. This is not a discussion on Homeopathic medicine verses Alleopathic Medicine.

First feel and look inside her jaw in case something is lodged in there. Does it feel hard or squishy? Any discharge at all? wrap her in a towel and probably a 2 person job unless she is use to being handled. Could bean abscess also look under her feathers on her swelling for an injury puncture.

So the vet agreed to see her. She feels it may be an allergic reaction, or maybe one of the other ducks or chickens bit her. She put her on meloxicam for inflammation. I asked about antibiotics but she said she wanted to try the meloxicam first.

I asked her to check hopes temperature, she did and it was 40 she said that was normal. I ran the bath before taking hope to the vet and she swished her beak under the water a bit and the swelling went down a little, she can open her eye now at least.

According to the vet she thinks it is not an infection, but rather some kind of allergic reaction. Maybe she might have got bitten by a bug or one of the other ducks or chickens. The vet gave meloxicam 0.4 mls every 24hrs for a week.

I took hope in the house yesterday morning and at first her face was so swollen one of her eyes were swollen shut. Her cheeks looked like chipmunk cheeks. It was aweful but once I took her inside and put her in a warm bath she started dunking her head and cleaning her nostrils. By the time I got to the vet the swelling had already gone down a little. And this morning it’s gone down a lot more. She is eating and drinking well. I’m just gonna keep her in the house for a week or so in my big dog kennel. And put her in a warm bath daily. Also I have been adding a vitamin mix to her water for the past month since she had injured her foot.

Back
Top Bottom