URgent Muscovy with swollen face!

Pics

DogIsMyShepherd

Songster
Jul 12, 2019
Canada
Please help. This morning I went to feed my ducks and chickens and found my duck Hopes face was swollen both sides, however worse on the left side. About a month ago I had posted about her she had a sore leg thought it was bumble foot but couldn’t find any injuries. Then figured she had injured it. Started giving her vitamins in her water daily and she had been doing much better. Her limp was almost totally gone. And she was seeming to be more active. Just fed them last night and she was fine. Now this morning her face is swollen. What can I do. I really don’t have access to a vet. I do have a few feeds stores near mean may be able to get something there.

Hopes doing great. She’s a tough one! Back in with the other ducks and chickens. Her mom teddy is so happy!!! :hugs:wee

4033237B-B4BD-4795-B3A0-A13015A99D49.jpeg

First feel and look inside her jaw in case something is lodged in there. Does it feel hard or squishy? Any discharge at all? wrap her in a towel and probably a 2 person job unless she is use to being handled. Could bean abscess also look under her feathers on her swelling for an injury puncture.

The truth is I would have tried anything to get her healthy again. And all suggestions were appreciated. It’s easy for people to say you need to take them to the vet. But a vet is not always available wether for financial reasons or just the fact that you don’t have a vet that sees livestock around you. The vet did agree to see hope but if she hadn’t I would have tried every other available option.

So the vet agreed to see her. She feels it may be an allergic reaction, or maybe one of the other ducks or chickens bit her. She put her on meloxicam for inflammation. I asked about antibiotics but she said she wanted to try the meloxicam first.

I asked her to check hopes temperature, she did and it was 40 she said that was normal. I ran the bath before taking hope to the vet and she swished her beak under the water a bit and the swelling went down a little, she can open her eye now at least.

The truth is I would have tried anything to get her healthy again. And all suggestions were appreciated. It’s easy for people to say you need to take them to the vet. But a vet is not always available wether for financial reasons or just the fact that you don’t have a vet that sees livestock around you. The vet did agree to see hope but if she hadn’t I would have tried every other available option.
Thank you for describing some of the treatment approach considerations...and for being open to less "mainstream" suggestions. It's clear that you're a conscientious caretaker. :)

I'm glad you had a vet you could take your lovely girl to and that she's on the mend. :yesss: Best wishes to both of you!

Back
Top Bottom