Swollen spot on drakes foot

Moments

Songster
Jun 17, 2023
Soooo... I try to check my ducks feet regularly and upon checking my biggest male Pekin (Peter) I noticed a small scab, dark in color (maybe the width of the tip of a dull pencil) and around it was really swollen. I treated it with a couple spray, antibiotic ointment and put a duck boot on him for the night. The next night I checked it again and decided to pull the scab just in case and when I pulled it, just a small strand came with it leaving a tiny hole and it didn't seem to bother him at all. I did the same, sprays, ointment and this time wrapped with gauze and vet wrap. Today when I checked it was scabbed over again, this time with a light scab but the area around it still swollen. My question, is it normal to have a swollen area around just a normal scab that's not bumble foot? Typically how long does it take to go down? I've treated scabs at the side of the toe but no swelling but then there's not as much pressure when walking there either. I treated one of my gals who had a scab and swelling around it and the scab went down within a couple weeks and lightened up but it's still there and still swollen around it. It's flush with the skin so the only indication on her that it was a scab was the discoloration and it feels hard. Seems like hers should've gone down by now. It hasn't gotten any worse but doesn't seem to have improved either.
*Photo of Peter's foot today for reference. Did a couple angles to see level of swelling. It doesn't seem to bother him when walking, he's been walking normal so I was a bit surprised when I saw how swollen it was when I checked him the other day.

Attachments

• IMG_20231030_184112424.jpg
    IMG_20231030_184112424.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20231030_184228437.jpg
    IMG_20231030_184228437.jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 11
I think,, It looks like there is still bumblefoot stuff in there that needs to come out. You can use either Prid to draw it out, or this epsom salt poultice.

Then wrap it, keep him out of water and mud. Re-do every other day.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-10-02 11-54-40.png
    Screenshot from 2023-10-02 11-54-40.png
    107.7 KB · Views: 9
I think,, It looks like there is still bumblefoot stuff in there that needs to come out. You can use either Prid to draw it out, or this epsom salt poultice.

Then wrap it, keep him out of water and mud. Re-do every other day.
I soaked his foot in Epsom salt tonight before putting to bed and treated and wrapped. What's the difference between regular Epsom and the poultice?
Is it because of the swelling it looks like there's still bumblefoot? How long does it typically take swelling to go down? I wasn't expecting it to go down much in a day or so :)
Oh boy, keeping him out of mud and water might be difficult unless I keep him in the pen when I let all the others out for the day. It's been raining here so even if no pool it's still a wet mess outside.

there’s a post on here titled “ FOUND BUMBLEFOOT CURE!!” and it explains why the poultice is so great 😀 i tried to get the link for you but my smart phone is stupid so just search for that title

there’s a post on here titled “ FOUND BUMBLEFOOT CURE!!” and it explains why the poultice is so great 😀 i tried to get the link for you but my smart phone is stupid so just search for that title
Does this also work without removing the scab? I'm gonna try to pick some up today. I think I've seen it at our tractor supply.
Also, I was thinking about how to make a waterproof boot for Peter and I'm gonna try the "bread bag method" my mom used for me in the winter cause my boots weren't waterproof. She had me slip my feet in bread bags and then in my boots and they always stayed dry. Gonna wrap him with vet wrap then put part of the bread bag over it and wrap with vet wrap just enough to secure and have traction on the bottom of his foot, see how it goes. Will be awesome if it works.

The bread bag bootie wasn't a complete success (nails poked small holes) but was better than no bread bag. The gauze inside his wrap did get wet but not so wet that it washed away all the ointment and the gauze was also still clean vs being all dirty without it. I did find actual waterproof booties though online so hopefully they'll do the job so he can stay with his flock instead of having to stay in to keep his foot dry.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231101-075034.png
    Screenshot_20231101-075034.png
    319.9 KB · Views: 7
No I thought you meant when you said nails made holes in the bread bag it was real nails but I am thinking the holes were made by your ducks nails

Back
Top Bottom