Duvet green gel Epsom poultice on swollen foot, slight broken skin?

Pics

Moments

Songster
Jun 17, 2023
I noticed today my 4-month-old blue Swedish girl walking with a slight limp. Checked her foot tonight and it's swollen on the right foot, far right toe. Looking at it it looks like there's a little bit of drainage, clear in color and I think maybe because I was putting a little pressure on it. The swelling is solid and it looks like there might be a little broken skin which I never would have noticed if I hadn't seen the tiny bit of liquid while inspecting her foot. I sprayed it with a treatment spray and put the poultice on it for the swelling and wrapped (boy is she a difficult one to wrap). I'm wondering if that's okay with a slight breaking the skin? It doesn't say anything about it on the bottle. I really want to get the swelling down on that toe, it's pretty significant.

I don't think it would hurt to use it. Let us know how it looks today.
I used it last night and it's twice as bad today. This morning I soaked it for about 5mins in Epsom salt (all she would allow), sprayed with a poultry spray, put a rosemary salve on it (fresh eggs daily product), put a gauze pad on it and in a waterproof disposable boot so she could be with the others outside without getting it wet. Hopefully the poultice didn't make it worse? The swelling looks to have doubled overnight. First pic was yesterday. Others are from this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_20231115_081627594_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231115_081627594_HDR.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20231115_070216177~2.jpg
    IMG_20231115_070216177~2.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20231115_070209971.jpg
    IMG_20231115_070209971.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 11
I'm honestly not sure. I know she had a tiny break in the skin that's barely viable. But the way the swelling doubled overnight made me wonder more if it was injury, not sure how fast swelling can accelerate with bumblefoot? If it's an injury what is the best course of action? She's been out with her peeps al(I'm not sure how her well being would be if separated) and moving some but taking plenty of down time. I tried to do an Epsom salt soak this morning but she only allowed 5 minutes maybe, she's not one for handling.

You could try a large bucket with a hole cut into the lif=d for her head to poke out but her body wouldn't fit. I saw someone post a YouTube video using these. That way she has to stay until you say it's time to get out. If one of mine comes up limping I have done both penned them to make them rest and also let them pace themselves. They really do a good job of pacing themselves and being with everyone helps with the stress they can have when separated. If it's an injury and looking at the toe makes me think that is what it is soaking and letting her pace herself or penning it can still take time to heal.

You could try a large bucket with a hole cut into the lif=d for her head to poke out but her body wouldn't fit. I saw someone post a YouTube video using these. That way she has to stay until you say it's time to get out. If one of mine comes up limping I have done both penned them to make them rest and also let them pace themselves. They really do a good job of pacing themselves and being with everyone helps with the stress they can have when separated. If it's an injury and looking at the toe makes me think that is what it is soaking and letting her pace herself or penning it can still take time to heal.
Ok, hard to know how to gauge it cause even with bumblefoot it can take time to heal and you hope that you're not letting it get worse without knowing by trying to give it time. Should I start seeing progress within a week or two either way?

Ok, hard to know how to gauge it cause even with bumblefoot it can take time to heal and you hope that you're not letting it get worse without knowing by trying to give it time. Should I start seeing progress within a week or two either way?
I'd think in a week or two you should see progress. Just keep up with what your doing.

Poor little gal. Wish I knew what happened. I checked her feet just last week so whatever it was it didn't take long to develop

Back
Top Bottom